How do I stop my son from having bad dreams?

My son is three years old, and about a month ago he started having nightmares. I feel like I have a new born again ,he is up all thru the night. When I hear him cry I go into his room and he is walking around or standing againts the wall still dreaming. Nothing has changed in his life and Im a stay home mom so Im with him always, so I dont know what is causing this. So if anyone has ever went threw this please I need your advice on what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like night terrors. Just talk with your son and help him to understand the difference between real and make believe. I went through this with my son and some of the things we discovered worked are: We would bring in a spray bottle of water (magical bad dream spray!) and spray around his room, this worked till he wanted to spray himself and got carried away. We would pray with him and sing songs. We watched the veggie tales movie, God is bigger than the boogie man. Great, we'd often sing that song with him. He would come to our bed or most recently I would put one of my sweaters with him. I'd wrap it around him so he could sleep in a mommy hug. We will often do this with him and our daughter just for fun! Works with daddy's sweaters too!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Try talking to him in his sleep in a calm voice... just say ssshhh its okay mommy's here. My daughter has bad dreams and usually thats all it takes is to talk to her till she snaps out of it. I think hearing her moms voice calms her down.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 8:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• if he has anything "weird" in his room... like my brother used to be obsessed with pokemon cards and everything along those lines and had terrible nightmares.. my mom got rido f all that stuff and pray over the room that God would bless it and he hasn't had anymore since. that was about 6 years ago (he might have had normal nightmares but not like what he used too!!!)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Leave a night light on or even the room light and the doors to both your room and his ajar. Give him a loved snuggly toy and tell him to hug it at night. My two year old went through this and gradually grew out of it.

Answer by Bmat at 8:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It sounds like nightterrors to me, my DD use to have them. We watched a goodmorning america one morning and another mom was talking about her child that had them also, she stated she would track what time they happened most and after a few days she went into her childs room after they were asleep but before the nightteror began and woke her child up ( not enought to wake them up fully but wake enough to change there sleep cycle) most nightterror happen about the same time and in the same sleep cycle, this stopped her childs nightterrors. I did the same thing with my child and after about a week of tracking what time they happened I woke her up about 30 minutes before they usually started...She stopped having them. We continued to wake her for about a month and she never had them again.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• cont...I dont remember what sleep cycle they usually happened in but if you need more info you can google sleep cycles and nightterrors. I hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to PM me
    midnightmoma

• i agree with midnightmoma on the diagnosis. my son has night terrors, and i used to have them too. they usually occur between 60 and 90 minutes of falling asleep, and usually when my son is over tired or hasn't had a nap that day. the good thing about them is that they usually grow out of them, and they don't usually remember them the next day. it's scary and and sad sometimes, but it doesn't mean that there's a pychological problem with your child, and he's probably a healthy happy normal child. i would just talk quietly and calmly, and sometimes ask if he's sleeping and he would answer yes. then i can tell when he starts to "wake up", he usually yawns, calms down, and lays back down. i wouldn't reccomend trying to wake him up, but to each his own. i would just keep him safe (they usually last 5 min to 30 min), so i'd say just deal for the next couple of years, and make sure he gets plenty of rest.
    Anonymous

• anon...I wouldnt wake her during the nightterror, I would wake her before they begin to change the sleep cycle she was in to bypass that stage....and it is not a full wake up, just a light (what ever) to get her to move around or roll over the other way. Not a full wake up.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• They sound like night terrors. Our pediatrician told us they happen most freqently when children are overtired. The key for us is that they mostly happened at the same time every night and for the most part he didn't really seem to wake up even though his eyes were open.

Our son had them a lot when he gave up afternoon naps. He had 2 tonight, as he stayed up for New Years celebrations and didn't sleep in this morning.
    He should be on track within a day or two. I just go in and rub is back and tell him I am there. I used to have to hold him and rock him until he would calm down.
    It was scary when his first started. It does get better. Good luck
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2009