baby rub question!

My son is sick, at least I think he's getting sick. Could be allergies or whatever but I got him some saline drops and some vicks baby rub. He's already got a rash that the doctor diagnosed as eczema and I'm kind of worried about putting the rub on his skin to further irritate it...but I think it would help him breathe and not be so stuffy. Anyone else have any problem with this irritating their baby's skin or any ideas on how to use it differently? I just want him to feel better!

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i understand that. try rubbing it on the bottom of his feet thats what i had to do with my 3 year old she has eczema horribly. i forgot to add that part.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 9:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• The first time I used baby Vicks i just put a small amount on her chest and gave it a bit to see if she would react to it. if you do use it just watch for a reaction
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 8:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I had to use it a full week on my son and he was fine. Just do a small spot at first to see if there is a reaction
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 8:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• try buying the lil vapor plug in things, ella just went through this and it helped tremendously...ther are called gentle vapors i think. i foiund mine at walmart. and we have a vicks humidifier that yoiu can put the lil insert itno.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 8:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Do NOT use the rub on the skin that is irritated by eczema. It will burn. Use a cool mist humidifier.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Yah I wish we had a vicks humidifier but we have a regular one and can't afford another. I don't want to medicate him even though my MIL is irate and calling my decision Tom Cruise Mormon Shit WTF? so hopefully with the saline, humidifier and a little baby rub it will at least comfort him so he can feel better.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I used the Vicks things that plug into the wall. The vapors worked well and always did the job without having to put anything on her body.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2009