Any Mirena users?

I've been debating birth control methods. I'm partially breastfeeding and have tried the generic Micronol. Sadly, it made me bleed like it was the period from hell. Mirena sounds like it might be perfect for me, but I'm a bit scared. Does anyone use this method? Does it hurt, (any part of it, i.e. insertion)? Is there a chance of it coming out by itself? Any info on actual experience would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Health

• I have the mirena. And at first it was awful. the insertion hurt like hell!! But I think that was partially because my cervix tilted so it made it harder and took longer. I also had really bad cramps. I was actually presribed darvocet for the pain!! that lasted for 4days or so. I really didn't bleed though. After that I was fine. I have a period every 2 or 3mths. it only last 2days and hardly any cramps and my cramps used to be very bad. Like double over in pain kind. so if you have bad periods it might help alot. Plus it's very effective which is why i mainly choose it. dont' let me scare you into not getting it because i have a few friends who got it to and they didnt mind it at all. Oh and it doesn't give you any side effects like the pill does because it doesn't go through your blood stream and the rest of your body like others bc do. Just talk to your doc and they'll be able to help you out
    Zee07

Answer by Zee07 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I agree with Zee07 the insertion hurt like hell but also my cervix is titled. But After that I had no bleeding and now i totally forget about it. It's nice to not have to worry about daily pills or patches. And it last for 5 years. I love it.
    I would also recommend not using the shot. After I was on it for 3 years I was a wreck. I was having crazy mood swings and I bleed for 10 weeks after I got the first shot.I also gained 20 pounds. Good luck with your decision.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have the Mirena. The insertion (for me) was absolutely fine - just an uncomfortable pinch. I also took 800mg of Advil an hour beforehand which probably helped. I guess after you go through hours of labor and shoot a child out of there, some things are a walk in the park LOL!
    I did have some cramping later on that day after the Advil wore off. I just took more Advil. No cramping after that.
    I did bleed/spot (the first one I had put in) for about 6 weeks. THAT was annoying. The second one put in I bled/spotted for like 2 weeks. BUT it is all worth it because my periods are lighter and shorter. Some cycles I can get away with wearing a pantyliner!!!
    Mom2Rebekah

Answer by Mom2Rebekah at 8:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• continued....

There is a possibility that it can be expelled - my advice is to check your strings after each menstrual cycle is finished. If you wind up not getting a period - check your strings once a month. If you don't feel your strings, call your doc immediately.
    The best part of the whole thing is that I don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday (I am very forgetful) or replacing a patch or ring. It's in there doing it's job for 5 years (or sooner if I want it removed) and neither me or my husband have to worry.
    Good luck!
    Mom2Rebekah

Answer by Mom2Rebekah at 8:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2009