when you brush yur toddlers teeth, do you feel you are being effective?

i try to brush my sons teeth reg. but it just doesnt seem to be getting as clean as i would like. of course hes only 2 an likes to just eat the paste off the brush and isnt the least bit concerened about dental hygiene.

mstia

Asked by mstia at 9:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is very effective even if all you are doing is brushing the teeth with water. I always started my children's dental visits when they were 2 years old so they would get use to being in the dentist office and having him place his fingers in their mouths. They are now 20, 17, and 15 - still visit the dentist for their yearly cleanings - and have never had a cavity, praise God. You are doing a very good thing by beginning good dental hygiene this young.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My daughter likes to suck the toddler toothpaste off the brush too. She is pretty good about keeping her mouth open and letting me brush her teeth well. When I let her "brush" them, she does wiggle the brush around a little but mostly just pretends to spit. It has taken a long time to get to this point though. We've had screaming matches, pitched fits where it took both her dad and I to get the teeth somewhat clean.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• i'd suggest looking for a dentist now. my ds is just now getting his third tooth, a molar i think so we havent looked yet. we always brush his teeth during his bath so its become routine.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I'm lucky. My daughter likes to have her teeth brushed. Of course she chomps down on it and sucks the paste off but she always lets me scrub first.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 10:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think it's funny you asked this question - I have wondered how effective our little brushing is. I do the first quick going over so I know each one if done and then my 2 1/2 year old insists on "doing it myself"....she barely touches her teeth.....arg. My friend, who is a pediatric dentist, says it's fine and we are getting a little fluoride in there and getting them used to the habit of brushing....
    And by the way - I use the floride paste and then let her squirt on some baby toothpaste with no floride so she can put on as much as she wants....(I'm freaked about letting her swallow too much fluoride)
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 1:31 AM on Jan. 2, 2009