Gonna cry

its only been 5wks, i just tried pumping and got NOTHING.....what am I doing wrong. i want to cry i feel like i am letting my baby done

Onlyeyes

Asked by Onlyeyes at 10:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you spoken with a lactation consultant through the hospital or even in a WIC office you should call the hospital the can either send someone or have you come in and help you GL
    rebecca2012

Answer by rebecca2012 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• Pumping is not necessarily a good indication of how much milk you are producing. Just keep putting your baby to your breast!

blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• There is medicine my sons doctor perscribed me and it worked! ask your childs doctor!
    teeg1

Answer by teeg1 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• 1-800-986-8800 The is a 24/7 breast fedding hotline for Similac.

Someone from the Feeding Expert team will answer your call. This initial contact will be able to answer the majority of your questions. Nurses and dietitians will also be available to talk with you. If they all are busy when you call, a qualified expert will get back with you as soon as possible.

If you have questions related to breastfeeding, a lactation consultant will be available to help you. Lactation consultants are provided by a third party.

Samantha2863

Answer by Samantha2863 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• Pump output tells you NOTHING at all. NOTHING.

Meet my friend Cherri and her twins. She nursed them exclusively with no formula at all for a year. Know how much she got from the best pump on the market?

Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Pumping only measures your body's reaction to the pump. Nothing more than that. If baby's been getting 6-8 changes per day, then your supply is fine. The pump itself may be the problem. Which one, used when? You posted at 7:30 Pacific... I'd expect you to get nothing then. Evening is the WORST time to pump... don't bother!

And beware the SImilac hotline. It's run by a formula company. Talk about foxes guarding the hen house!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:05 AM on Sep. 20, 2011

• you can go to lalache website and there are phone numbers to help or the doctors office or hospital can point you to the consultant
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 20, 2011

• All of the above answers are great - personally, I had a problem with BF because I got an infection and my supply dropped hardcore. We used a lanolin-free cream, and I fixed it by drinking a lactation tea ( usually has chamomile and hops as a major component. You can get them at the supermarket) and pretty much spending about three days straight in bed with him nursing. now our supply is up and healthy. I understand the fear that baby isn't getting enough, but as long as the baby is wetting about 6 to 8 diapers a day, you're fine! :) Also, don't flip out if baby doesn't poo. some breastfed babies won't poo for up to 5 days and that's totally normal. As long as the poo is soft when it does come out and baby doesn't seem distressed by it, you're fine. Feed a little organic formula if it helps soothe your nerves, but limit it as much as possible - baby will be fine, but OH GOD THE STENCH!
    mother-fox

Answer by mother-fox at 11:04 AM on Sep. 20, 2011