Cold during labor?

I'm almost 37 weeks pregnant and I have a really bad cold. If I went into labor could I be around my baby after I delivered her or would I have to stay away? Could I breastfeed her?

tegansnowflake

Asked by tegansnowflake at 9:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Health

• yes u can be around her and yes u can feed her... i had a cold and was around my baby and breast fed... ur milk will help her not get the cold :)
    Anonymous

• I though you were talking about temp. of the room and was gonna answer wear socks because only my feet did. But yes you can be around baby just wash your hands and keep her/him away from your face until it is gone, the breast milk will help her/him from catching it....A baby does not have an immune system of there own yet. Most common colds are transmitted threw contact that is why the Dr. want everyone to wash hands before touching baby, germs are more likely to be in mucus, droplets from sneezing/ coughing
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• For sure you can. And a note here. When you are sick breastfeeding is the best thing you can do. I have been very sick many times in my breastfeeding relationship with my daughter, and the worst she has ever come down with was a slight case of the sniffles. Breastfeeding is awesome. If you are planning to breastfeed I encourage you to join a breastfeeding group here in the cafe. The support and mamas who have fed who can help you through the tough times are an awesome asset!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2009