I need help on getting my 13 month old son off of a bottle

PeytonsMommy11

Asked by PeytonsMommy11 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• To be honest with you everyone says the best way is to throw them away and just give him nothing but the sippy cup. I have been letting my son guide himself off because he refuses to drink out of anything else (I tried throwing the bottles away but he went a whole day without drinking and I was scared of dehydration) and he has broke himself off it well. You know your son, just go with what feels right.
    4Nalon

Answer by 4Nalon at 9:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• You wrote on Dec. 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    My dd was one when she gave up the bottle. She was very attached to it too! I told her she was a big girl now and to gather up her bottles and put them in the bag I had and we were going to throw them away. She did it! Of course she cried a few times for the bottle but once she realized I wasn't going ot give her one she stopped crying. It only took a few days. But the trick is to actually completely get rid of the bottles. Otherwise you may want to give in and just get the bottle out of the cabinet. This way if you decide to "give in" then you will have to go all the way to tthe store to get a bottle. Makes you less likely to "give in". Good luck and hang in there when it gets rough. Usually just after it gets bad it is all over with!

Lacy_2

Answer by Lacy_2 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I believe 13 months is still young. Having a bottle is OK. But of course, you're the mommy and you can wean your child when you want. I weaned off breastfeeding just now, it took 2 months. So, she basically has been on the bottle since 11 months old. Of course every now and then, I would supplement with formula before then...but mostly booby. So my transition was from boob to bottle. Although, my 13 month old daughter does drink out of the sippi cup as well, it's just water though. She won't drink milk out of it yet. She'll just spit it out. Anyway, I'm not worried about weaning my daughter off the bottle quite yet...at least she does use the sippi-cup filled with water. I'll probably start weaning when she's 15-18 months off the bottle. That way by the time she is 2 years old, it's only sipi cup and regular cups.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• That's just my plan for my baby. I'm sorry I didn't really answer your question. Everything takes time to wean and transition. Just keep trying to give your baby the sipi cup! So, good luck and happy new year!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I am the last person to ask, I let mine go way too long. Yeah, she was two. We had the sippy cups. Those were for meals. But bedtime routine and nap routine included a bottle. And she had a bottle of water she would pack all over the house. She wore Osh Kosh overalls alot, those 4 oz bottles fit in her pockets. I kid you not. So finally, I had a week vacation that I wasn't going any where. I got rid of every bottle. She had a rough few days but after that, she was fine. So fine she didnt' mind when she went back to daycare and saw the younger kids with bottles. The whole issue was a comfort thing for her and laziness on my part. If I had ever had another child, I would cut the bottles out a lot sooner.
    patipwa6

Answer by patipwa6 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would have to say the few things that i tried w/ Ali was giving her the soft nipples of the sippy cups first. Then when she got used to those she would go to the hard nippled sippy cups. I would have to say that the hardest part of me breaking her from the bottle was at night that took a little bit longer then during the day b/c she would take a sippy during the day but at night she wanted her bottle. just try to be paitent it will take time but like the other moms have said it gets hard at first then it gets easeir. i also threw all of her bottles away accept 2 of them and those were only brought out for bed time. i wish u the best of luck luv yas :)
    amylou_2007

Answer by amylou_2007 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2009