Would you send flowers or make a charitable donation?

My uncle passed this morning. His life partner is having him cremated upon his wishes and we are having a memorial service. i can't afford to send flowers to my grandparents (his parents) and to his partner. Would you send flowers to the memorial service or make a charitable donation in his name?

angeladh82

Asked by angeladh82 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A donation is much more beneficial than flowers to be honest.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 11:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think Id do a charitable donation.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 10:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Charitable donation in his name

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Charitable donation
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Charitable donation sounds like a great idea.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I would do the donation. That is something that would live on forever that you did that, flowers are here and within a couple of days they are dead-waste of money.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• charitable donations are fine, but i always send a replantable item(or indoor plant that may have blooms, if its seasonal)..most recipients will continue to tell me about how well the plant is doing, even years after the funeral it was sent for. i just ask the florist what they have that is replantable, and have them send it. do what you can afford, for whichever party means the most to you. send a card to the other...people love re-reading words of sentiment in sympathy cards, too. its more personal. heck, do both!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• donation...
    surpriseat41

Answer by surpriseat41 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• When my brother passed away, his partner had him cremated as he wanted and at the memorial service my sister & I put a white rose on the table by his picture. We then had a GREAT luncheon at my brother's favorite resturant. It wa so great to hear how many ppl and HOW he impacted ppl I didn't know.
    As a fundraiser, I would definitely suggest the donation. Find out if he had an organization he liked. Some ppl request in lieu of flowers that a donation be made to the charity of the choice of the deceased. If he was in hospice, that would be agood place to donate too. If he passed b/c of cancer American Cancer Society is a good choice.
    make sure the charity sends a card acknowleding your donation to his partner.it's a nice rememberance.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• charitable donation
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2009