Four year old boy with a clothing problem. Please HELP!

My Four yr old son is very picky about what he wears.He will only wear denim pants with a button and pockets and only a few shirts. He once wore the same clothes for 3 weeks. I have to wait till he gets a bath to steal them away and wash them.The only time he will wear anything different is his school uniform. But even then it has to be a blue short sleeves shirt and button pants. Even when we both pick out the clothes the night before he changes his mind in the morning. I heard of older girls being picky but a little boy?

zachysmommy04

Asked by zachysmommy04 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lol its a little strange. im not saying this is YOUR case, but i heard that alot of autistic children have "odd" preferneces for children...my sister in law is ten, and autistic, and she WILL NOT wear long sleeves. everything has to be cut, even coats. in my opinion, if i was dealt with this, i would take away one of the things he likes, like the pants, or all the shirts, and kinda "make him" wear someting else. if theres nothing legitimately wrong with the clothes, and hes just obsessing, break it while you can. or else find the clothes he likes in larger sizes every year til hes 18...
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Don't you just love the 4 year old stage?! The only suggestion I have is to compromise with him. Maybe next time you go shopping for his clothes, take him with you and let him pick them out. Until then you could tell him that you get to pick 4 outfits this week and he gets to pick 3 outfits for him to wear this week. Sign an agreement and if he keeps his promise then he gets to stay at the park for an extra 10 minutes or he gets to go for ice cream with mommy and/or daddy.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Is it a sensory issue for him or is he just being stubborn? If its a sensory thing, then getting him into different types of clothing may be a huge issue. For kids with sensory issues, rougher types of fabric can actually be painful for them. They are super sensitive to the feelings on their skin. So if you think he is being stubborn, then I would make him wear different things but if it is truly a comfort issue then by all means get him the types of clothes he'll wear and get several of them.
    Anonymous

• Yes i was wondering about the sensory issue. I had read it in a magazine. And honestly i don't know if he is just being stubborn.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Several things come to mind. 1) your child is asserting his independence possibly. Good job. Children are supposed to do this. They will want to wear plaid pants and striped shirts together or some other odd combination and it will drive you crazy. That is okay. Children are not our accessories, although some parents think so. So let him wear what he wants within reason. Reason is: the clothes are clean (other wise let him pick out something else - period. Regardless of his fuss or tantrum), the clothes are appropriate (weather wise, age wise, ect...), and they fit.  cont..

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• cont...2) He could possibly have a sensory issue. That's not abnormal, lots of kids do and their parents don't even know it and they grow up just fine. It is only a problem if it impairs his functioning on a daily basis. Meaning he tries to rip off the clothes, he is sooo uncomfortable wearing them he cannot focus on anything else, ect....nothing else would get done. Then asking for an occupational therapist eval would be your best option. If you are worried, meaning you think about this a lot, then go ahead and request that evaluation from your child's doctor. By request I mean demand. Just for your own peace of mind. No harm in it. Other than that let him decide what to wear but have some rules and stick by them.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I WOULDNT WORRY MUCH ID GET HIM A FEW OF THE SAME THINGS.I HAVE A 5 YR OLD THAT WILL ONLY WEAR POCKET PANTS AND WHEN HE TAKES THING FROM SCHOOL OR THE THERIPEST OFFICE I PUT ON PANTS WITH NO POCKETS.HE HAS F.A.S AND IT IS A GOOD CONCEQUENCE FOR HIM.AND BEFOR WE HAD HIM HE WAS A SIZE 3 BUT ONLY HAD SIZE 2 CLOTHES .SO HE IS VERY PROUD OF HIS POCKET PANTS.IT MIGHT NOT BE A BAD THING YOU CAN USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. BEST OF LUCK

mom3898

Answer by mom3898 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think he is probably just picking what he wants. I would take him shopping in future and ask him what he wants to buy. Obviously he needs to dress for the weather but other than that does it matter if he likes to wear the same type of clothes all the time?
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My little girl tried this for a while but its not always appropriate for her to pick her clothes....It was getting outta hand. she has since settled down again and doesn't mind what goes on her.....Just cause it can get out of hand.....Trying sandals on at the store the other day and she was like, i dont like these, i dont like those, i want white, its a bit much for me u know....too young for it, im all for independance but sometimes it doesn't always work in your favour and i do let her pick her own clothes sometimes, just with her, doing the right thing sometimes creates a monster. She is 3 and a half.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• im going through the same its hard i feel for you and it is very frastrating for us jusdt do what your doing but dont let the children see you put it in the washing machine good luck
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 5:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2009