If your son isn't circumcised, when do you start to pull back the skin to clean his penis? Or do you wait till he can do it himself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• NO! Never retract it! A boys foreskin will start to naturally retract and loosen anytime around 2-4 years of age. It should never be pulled back, or forced loose. Once you notice it loosen you can start cleaning there, GENTLY to avoid irritation, and not tearing.

Uncircumcised boys produce a white dischage called Smegma which is a self cleaning agent, and not a sign of infection. :) So don't fret, and just clean like you would a finger. No pulling, or retracting required! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• you should start the day he is born jus wit a wipe and when you bath him with a wash cloth and soap
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 10:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• The only one who should retract a little boy is the owner of the penis. The penis doesn't generally retract until between age 3 and adulthood. Forcibly retracting the foreskin before it is ready can hurt him and cause problems later on. Just wash it as you would any other part of his body until he is old enough to retract himself.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Could he get an infection if it is not cleaned?
    Anonymous

• OMG, NO! PLEASE don't listen to the first response -- he'll TEAR!! Some idiot Dr. retracted my son when he was 2 years old... and he tore and bled all over the place! Poor baby screamed every time he pee'd for a week afterwards.

Not until at least 3-4 yrs of age -- and even then, not all at once. Gradually over time.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Urine is sterile --- I have 3 intact sons & one intact husband ---- haven't had an infection yet.
    Laura1229

• I don't feel comfortable pulling the skin back, but he is complaining that it is hurting and it looks as if it is getting red. I am taking him to the doctor tomorrow, but I am not sure if I should have been cleaning it this whold time. The skin does retract by the way. The doctor did it at one of his check-ups. She was surprised that it was able to do that at about 9 months old.
    Anonymous

• My son is still young, almost 2 and he's never had an infection and never been retracted. His foreskin is still attached. He will retract when he is ready. It will be just fine. Leave it alone!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It could be uncomfy because it was retracted. The doctor never should have done that. I'm sorry your son is going through that. It should never need to be cleaned and it never should have been pulled back at all. I wouldn't let the doctor do that again, that will just make it worse.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• you DO NOT pull back the forskin at all! it will naturally retract on it's own much later in their life, and when that happens you still don't retract it yourself. it does it's own cleaning naturally!
    Anonymous