is the baby going to be alright?

well i smoke maybe less than 5 cigs a day. im 24 weeks pregnant with a boy and i have already had test done making sure there is nothing wrong with him. he is the right size his heart is fine and growing normal. is there anything that can go wrong with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Low birth weight is not something to be thankful for. It leads to all kinds of helath problems down the road. ADD, Asthma, numerous immune problems...why be thankful for a less than healthy baby? To say that many women have smoked and their babies were ok is like saying, I played in the streets once and I was ok. So what? Playing in the streets is now safe? NO ~HECK NO! I know that quitting is HARD ( I smoked for more than 15 years before I quite!) but the first thing you do as a mom is to love your baby more than you love yourself. Love your baby and quite smoking. Join a stop smoking group and get some help with it! You can do it!
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 6:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Low birth weight and all that. I know a lot of people that smoked with their kids and they are all fine. My fiance's mom smoked cigs with both my fiance and his brother. His brother was 10lbs and My fiance was 9lbs.
    HisNightshade

Answer by HisNightshade at 6:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Why risk it? Quit for your baby's sake.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• i think youll be fine.. alot of women smoke while still pregnant... and the babies turn out fine :) dont sweat it.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 6:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• If smoking lowered the birth weight of my babies, I say Thank you Jesus! I smoked with both my pregnancies and Both my kids weighed 8 1/2 lbs.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I want to add too that quitting may be hard, but it is a heck of a lot easier than taking care of your sick child and knowing you could have prevented his illnesses.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 6:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• You never know! It's hit or miss. I don't mean to me harsh but seriously, quit now! You owe it to yourself and your baby!
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 6:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I read many times it could be the number one cause of SIDS. I also had a friend who didn't care to quit, not even for the baby. She did lose the baby by SIDS. I'm not claiming smoking to be the cause but it seems coincidental at the least. My mother also smoked when pregnant w/me, I'm still alive and for the most part very healthy. But, maybe I could have been even better in so many ways. Why take the chance. If not for your baby, just do it (quit) for yourself and your family's future. God bless you and your baby.
    nini102

Answer by nini102 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• aww i always find this so sad for the baby,i dont mean to be rude in any way but seriously it is 9 months and it is for the best reason ever to quit ,you have a life inside you that depends fully on you to care for him or her so why not give the baby a fresh healthy start ,wouldnt you want as a mom to do everything you can for your little one to keep them healthy.Without a doubt you know what smoking does to a body so why smoke while pregnant and expose your unborn .I quit while pregnant after smoking for years and yeah it was hard but what other choice did i have .I hope you quit soon for you and your baby
    nikki7376

Answer by nikki7376 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• smokeing while your preg.and even as they grow up can cause health problems later on down the road as well as causeing low birth weight the whole nine yards... it can cause them to have breathing problems all through there lives i know... because ive had all thoughs problems because my mom smoked when she was preg with me... i quite smoking when i was 4 months preg..and i still dont... her health is more important to me than a cig.
    Sweet_nothings

Answer by Sweet_nothings at 7:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2008