How can you tell when you have a sinus infection?

I have had a cold since Christmas Eve, but now my nose and sinuses burn . Also my eyes ache and my cheekbone area actually hurt. Does that mean I've moved from a really bad cold to a sinus infection? And my head hurts most of the time as well, forehead area to the back of the eyes.... All this and 3 boys ages 5 and under to deal with too.......The joys of no sick days for mommies....

izyandchrismomi

Asked by izyandchrismomi at 10:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Health

• It sounds like you have a sinus infection. I would go to the doctor so he can prescribe you something. In the mean time take Advil Sinus and Cold. It works wonders for me when I get a sinus infection.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• definitely sounds like it to me. when you blow your nose is it bight yellow? thats a sign of infection. i would try hot and cold compresses on your face it will make it feel much better..and get in to see a doc..you may need a stronger anticold or antibiotic.
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 10:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• IF YOUHAVE A SINUS INFECTION YOUR SNOT WILL BE GREEN. thats that :)
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It could be a sinus infection. If you have a thick greenish or yellow discharge and a fever, that is even a better chance. If it isn't an infection, at least the doctor could suggest something to relieve the pressure.

Answer by Bmat at 10:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I have had many of them, I would say you have a sinus infection. Especially if your cheekbones hurt. Advil or Tylenol Sinus works great to relieve the pressure. But you might needs some antibotics too. Call the Dr.
    patipwa6

Answer by patipwa6 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Answered at 10:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 by: soldiermom1986
    soldi...
    IF YOUHAVE A SINUS INFECTION YOUR SNOT WILL BE GREEN. thats that :)

Yummy....but yeah that's the sign of an infection. The burning and pain might just be pressure or it could be from blowing too hard. Sometimes I get pain if I blow too hard. If the pain is accompanied by some green snot, then it's an infection. I have one right now...it's gotten to where the snot was draining and making me so nauseated. Ewwe and the pills I was one make my birth control all screwy...it sucked.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Oh god...can we say PAIN? I woke up in agony last summer, my entire FACE was hurting! I thought I had a toothache, i didn't know what was wrong. I was in tears and had to go to the emergency room where I was diagnosed with frontal lobe sinus infection (something like that)...they gave me alavert, mucinex, nasal spray, antibiotics, ibuprofin and like 4 other things!
    The best I can describe it is any congestion, and if your face hurts
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009