Temper tantrums

How do the rest of you deal with temper tantrums. Most part my 2 yr old is a good girl and does well with listening. We laid her down for a nap today, and I was relaxing cause I am expecting soon. I went to make sure she was sleeping and she destroyed her room, haha. So I asked her to help clean up and to take her nap, we could tell she was tired. She started throwing toys so we took her basket of toys out of room and she went of the deep end. She screamed for about an hour. We left her in her room, and my hubby tried to calm her down twice. We ignored her and she eventually went to sleep, but I felt horrible ignoring her and letting her cry it out. She was well behaved the rest of the day when she got up. Was I wrong or do you do the same thing? I was always told best to ignore when a child acts that way.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would of done the same thing.. they say if you acknowledge it they take it as an easy way to get attention and it jus gets worse.. crying never hurt anyone
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 10:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• That is not the definition of crying it out. Leaving a baby alone and crying for you in a crib in the dark is crying it out. I'm 100% against CIO but I totally ignore tantrums. By giving in, they learn that tantrums give them what they want.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• yeah i agree. if she cries herself to sleep, its ok. she may not have been tired or was fighting sleep... but she sure got you and daddys attention, so that most likely why she persisted. so next time, remove the toys, reassure her your there and shes ok and its nap time, and let her go. easier said than done, i know. im going thrugh it myself with my son.
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I always did the ignore it thing when my daughter was that age. At least yours was at home. Mine threw her most famous tantrum on a plane from Denver to San Francisco. There was no ignoring it. But nothing I did worked. I tried gum, because I thought maybe her ears hurt. I tried distraction. I even sank as low as getting in her face and threatening to spank her bottom (which of course I had no intentions of doing) if she didn't knock it off now. She is now 20 and when she complains about other peoples "brats" I remind her of what she did. Anyone have any suggestions for the moms if the tantrums happen in a place that you just can't leave such as an airplane!
    patipwa6

Answer by patipwa6 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• True... I am lucky that all tantrums happen at home or grandparents or aunts. Nothing completely public, we did have a small one at a mall, but not near as bad as some she can throw. Most are either out of being tired or not wanting to sleep. She still needs naps, but she hates to sleep. Don't get me wrong she is a pretty good girl, I cannot complain compared to some kids I have seen on Nanny 911 I was watching today, haha.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• our 2 yr old has what we call "meltdowns"...nothing pleases her...we usually put her in the bed because it happens when she's tired..she'll get up & we'll put her back...I hate hearing her scream & cry & call for me but it usually doesn't last long then she falls asleep...don't worry, you're not being mean & you're not going to scar her for life..hang in there...
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• i do it every day lol.....my DS throws those kinds of fits all the time...and now he is onto hitting pple when he is pissed off and mad and i just try to ignore him as much as i can but when he hits he gets in trouble and results in a time out but i feel your pain
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My 2 year old is the same way but when she is tired, watch out !! I try to ignore her tantrums but it's so hard sometimes, you just don't want to hear them cry. I did the same with my older 2 children and it worked (14 and 11 years old now). You are not being mean.
    eblue3

Answer by eblue3 at 4:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2009