Is Mildew or Mold harmful to a newly pregnant woman?

My beautiful daughter just found out she is pregnant for the second time. Her first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. She and her husband have lived in the same apartment since they first got married and their roof was leaking the first week they moved in.

The Complex supposedly fixed in....nearly a year later and after the loss of one baby, she discovers the mildew/ mold spots showing through the ceiling.

She just found out she was pregnant last week, and the Apartment complex want to "repair" it again instead of moving them to a new apartment.

How harmful could it be?

momma-t42

Asked by momma-t42 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2011 in Health

• My DH was in indoor air quality for 12 years. Any kind of mold or mildew is harmful to anyone, especially babies and immuno-compramised individuals. It is definitely NOT good for pregnant women either. Depending on the type of mold, it could be very dangerous. I suggest getting someone in there to test and remediate the problem. If the apartment complex is going to find a contractor to fix it, they usually go with cheapest bid. The problem with that is they do not remove/clean in a sanitary manner. The whole house must be sealed off with plastic. If not, it will just spread to other areas of the house. I suggest looking in to the company they hire before you have it done.
    mdrgator10

Answer by mdrgator10 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2011

• Mold is harmful to anyone. Pregnant or not.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2011

• it's bad for anyone..i would have the apt complex have that checked out asap. and if they don't repair it...she can turn them into the health dept. not something to mess around with
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2011

• Mold is harmful to anyone!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2011

• I understand that...I guess I should have asked if she should stay somewhere else immediately questioning the toxicity of the potential spores and the health risks it could cause the baby?

We all ingest pollens, mold, and different things with the environment and rain and such.
    momma-t42

Comment by momma-t42 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2011

• I do believe it is harmful to anyone, male,female, prego, nonprego, animal.......
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2011

• Thank you mdrgator! My daughter wants to move in with us until the situation is resolved. We don't have a problem with that. Just want to see the situation resolved and out daughter be able to carry a healthy baby to term.

They are a very young married couple and called us in to help since the complex doesn't seem to take them serious.
    momma-t42

Comment by momma-t42 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2011

• Mold/mildew is harmful to anyone. She of all people should not be around it.
    If they fix the leak for good, and replace the molded area, she should be ok.
    I assume moving to a different apartment complex at this time cannot be done
    due to the lease agreement. One thing she could do would be to contact the
    real estate commission in her state. They can advise her of her rights, and
    offer some solutions. The real estate commission is there to protect the consumer.
    Good luck to your daughter :-)
    Laurie3200

Answer by Laurie3200 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2011