Diaper rash or fungal?! HELP!

My baby is breaking out on the diaper edge line, ya know, where the legs start. Anyways, its really red and has these little white headed bumps! It doesn't seem to really be bothering him, they just appeared tonight. I have been searching and will stop using wipes and then give him some baking soda baths, but does this sound fungal? Please help. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

amandallamas

Asked by amandallamas at 11:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Um maybe try different diapers.. my daughter had a bad rash from all diapers... But it doesnt sound all that bad.. good luck.. It sucks to worry!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 11:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Sounds like heat rash. I would put corn starch on that area to help keep it dry. If it continues, you might go up a size or change brands.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 11:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• my baby had something like that, it turned out to be a staph infection! it goes away with mupirocin but it has to be prescribed, so get to the doc asap. if it is what my son had, then it shouldnt HURT him, but wipe your baby after every diaper, so you get the uric acid off his skin too. if you have to use a washclioth with water
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think it sounds fungal... my girls get yeast infections like crazy!!! Its a bloody nightmare. The doc prescribed this cream (nyastatin) and it works wonders. I would just make an appt if it doesnt go away shortly.
    adoptivemommy24

Answer by adoptivemommy24 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Hmm sounds like a diaper rash. Make sure you change his diaper every 2 to 4 hours depending on how much he pees. I would keep doing baking soda baths and apply a fair amount of a&d ointment. I ALWAYS apply diaper rash ointment to the entire butt and thighs when changing diapers. Hes never had a disper rash and hes 5 months old. If its still there in a few days bring him to the DR. Good luck love, hope hes ok!!! :)
    MissMamaAshley

Answer by MissMamaAshley at 11:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I really don't know how bad the diaper rash is, but when my boys were babies, my middle son had a horrible rash on hit lil butt. I would desitin on him, but when a diaper change came around, and I would use a wipey or even warm wash cloth, it seemed as though the skin peeled and it became red and raw. I did take him to the doctor and it turned out to be a yeast infection! I never knew boys could get that. I was because he had been on antibiotics. Maybe this will help.
    Good luck ! Lisa
    IamtheStepMom

Answer by IamtheStepMom at 11:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2009