What do I do about my baby's hair?

My baby boy is 5 months old. He is African American and has a head full of course, curly hair. I plan on allowing his hair to grow but I have no idea how to care for it. What are some products (household products included) that would be both effective and safe for an infant his age? Also, what are some different things that I could do to detangle, manage, and soften his hair?

*I had gotten a tip that olive oil works...I tried it and not only does it smell awful, it only worked temporarily. I am looking for something a little more long term.

(I feel like this is a silly question...but nothing has been working for me.)

ANY advice or tips are welcome and appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have u tried that thick baby oil I think its called baby oil gel!!! Im not sure if it will work because I also heard baby oil dries the scalp!!! I did use it on this 2 yr old boy I use to baby sit (he was african american) and it worked on him!
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 12:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I've heard that baby oil (used right after a bath) is actually supposed to keep the moisture in the skin. Perhaps try using baby oil in his hair right after a bath and see if that helps at all.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2009