II'm the grandmother of a one week old baby with Down Syndrome, and because as frequent sitter, I share a great deal of his care, I'd like to talk with other mms who share this circumstance. So far little David has done little but sleep. He does cry when he's hungry and takes almost an hour to finish two ounces of milk. Just wondering what experiences you've had during DS babies' first weeks home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have a Down's baby... but might I suggest she talk to her pediatrician about getting a therapist involved in his eating. It sounds like he needs to learn to eat if it is taking him that long... he may have his tounge in the wrong place or something. Or possibly a different type of nipple.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• well my daughter doesn't have DS, but she did sound a lot like him with his eating. I took her into the doctor to see why it took her an hour to finish 2 oz of milk and what they discovered was that the muscels in her thoart (sp?) were not strong enough to suck like a normal baby. we had to switch her to fast flowing nipples so she could eat better. we also had to switch her to preemie formula so she could gain the weight she had lost. it's not normal for them to take that long to eat so I would for sure talk to the doctor about this. my daughter almost had to be put in the hospital because she was failing to thrive.
    melissa916

Answer by melissa916 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My son has Down Syndrome. I would be more than happy to talk to you and answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to send me a message. I hope to hear from you!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/10352/

Try this group out, they may be able to help you. Best of luck to you!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2009