If newborns sleep most of the day away, why does it not seem like it in the womb?

Little Ellie has been kicking mommy all day, I don't even know when she could have slept!

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 11:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow someone forgot to tell all three of my newborns they were supposed to sleep all day and night...Newborns don't sleep most of the day away. They all eat about every 2 hours and need a diaper change every time they eat. They take anywhere from 30-50 minutes to eat then change a diaper and then sleep for a bit and do it all over again. So if they start eating at 8am they will still expect to eat again at 10-10:30am.

Sleep the day away ROFL! You have got to be a first time mom!
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 11:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• the more active you are the more active the baby
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 11:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• short and simple, fetuses have uncontrollable movements. even when they come out they do for a while. so even though shes kicking, she could very well be sleeping. i mean, who sleeps in the same position all night? :) gotta move!
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My Melissa has been doing the same all day. She has even gotten my arm afew times whe it was laying on my stomach her little knee hurts LOL
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• LOL! Good question! I agree she could well be sleeping and moving around in her sleep. I know my baby played a bouncing game when I was trying to sleep. It was if he'd kick off with his feet and bounce with his head on the opposite side, then bounce again- very hard for me to get sleep like that. I love the name, Ellie, by the way.

Answer by Bmat at 11:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2009