Potty training nightmare...HELP!!!

My son Mikey, who will be 3 in March is totally uncooperative when it comes to potty training! He will stand up or squat and poop on TOP of the potty, or he'll pee on the floor next to the potty. He always seems to hold the majority of his pee, and just waits until I put his pull-up on him, and then needless to say, the pull-up ends up soaked! I am pretty close to being at my wits-end, and I will take all the suggestions and advice I can get. I always hear that boys take longer to potty train...well lucky for me, I have a 17 month-old boy, and another boy on the way!

CassandraDiva

Asked by CassandraDiva at 11:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he is afraid that he'll be sucked down the potty. Have you tried a potty chair? My method of taking him every half hour wouldn't work, since he knows how to, just chooses not to. I don't know what to suggest other than going back to diapers and letting the training wait for a while. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 11:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• leaps and bounds has a nice cushy potty seat with its own step stool and handles attached. I can't think of anything that would make a kid feel more secure about sitting on the potty. Also, I've seen little papers that you can throw in the potty that have cute pictures on them that boys are supposed to get a kick out of peeing on. I guess they're supposed to help with aim? I would say at that age DON'T give up. No matter what just keep trying and help him to make a game out of it. Reward with stickers or an m&m (Jon and Kate do) when he does it right. Buy him a special toy that he can only play with while sitting on the potty. Good luck and don't give in to diapers! My friend ended up having to use training underwear and just clean up the messes. Pull ups were too much like diapers and her son didn't get the picture until she took the pull ups away.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 11:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Hi,
    I have two children and the oldest being a boy. He was harder to potty train compared to my little girl who was full potty trained by the age of 2. Some suggestions are to use rewards for him actually going on the potty, don't scold him, and one that worked for me was to get my mother-in-law to encourage and clap and motivate him to use the potty because after all he was a big boy. We got everyone involved in my son's potty training and used stickers and treats and praise and one day it totally clicked and all that hard work had paid off. Don't lose hope because he will get there. You don't see any 5 year olds wearing diapers, right? Best of luck and keep breathing! lol
    Katedownunder

Answer by Katedownunder at 12:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It sounds like this is a control issue....you will appreciate this hard head one day when he uses it for good but for now your hair will be turning gray! You could give a special gift when the poopoo gets into the toilet. If the toilet scares him - try the "Family toilet seat" -http://www.activeforever.com/p-2031-family-toilet-seat.aspx?source=overture&OVRAW=family%20toilet%20seat&OVKEY=family%20toilet%20seat&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=46247307011&OVKWID=310185724511
    I found it on Amazon cheaper but it has a smaller hole and my daughter wasn't afraid of falling in.
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 1:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• this may sound really dumb try cheerios put some of then in the potty and tell him to aim for them .. it is a fun experience and she should do better with potty training
    mommyofangels52

Answer by mommyofangels52 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2009