How do I know if it's an earache?

My 4-month-old son has been pulling and rubbing his right ear. He has been somewhat fussy and in the middle of teething. He's got a runny/stuffy nose a cough and a rectal temp of 99.5 should I get him checked out tomorrow or just see how it goes? Is it possible he has an ear infection, or is he just playing with her ear because it is there? How can I tell for sure? He's been discovering a lot of body parts lately, feet, tongue? I just don't want him to get worse over the weekend.

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• our son plays with his ears all the time and when we was sick last month they said that there was fluid in his ears. They told me to watch for signs of a earache which wasthem playing with or rubbing their ears. Because he does this a lot as it is they said that he is cries when i play with or rub his ears that could be a sign. also if he is fussier than normal, has a fever, or cries when you lay him down. Ear infection has a bigger effect when lying flat
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 12:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If he has a temp I would get him checked out. I have taken my kids to the doctor because they were tugging at their ears and the doc said that usually with an ear infection there will be a fever. Since your son does have a low grade fever, I would take him in. Poor baby....ear infections hurt :-(
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• If he is pulling at his ears and is crying I would say its an infection, maybe not a huge one but an infection none the less. I would take him in just incase.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009