How early is to early to potty train a boy?

lilmama10-07

Asked by lilmama10-07 at 12:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you should start between 2 1/2 and 3 years old. they need to be able to "hold it" and also be able to tell you BEFORE they go that they need to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Every child is different but usually the muscles in that part of the body aren't formed enough before about 2 1/2. You can always get him used to the potty buy either getting him a little potty and let him sit on it and talking about how he will go potty "like a big boy". We had a song we sang about going on the potty -"mommy goes potty on the big potty, daddy goes potty on the big potty, J will go potty on the big potty when she's a big girl too...." We just made it up but it sunk in that she would go. They say once they are dry in the mornings - they are ready.....but sometimes that doesn't happen...but they will start to be dry for longer periods of time during the day. My friend with 5 boys waited until they were ready and then let them go one or two days with just a shirt on....once they feel it running down their legs they were trained....
    good luck!
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 1:19 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• my son will be 2 1/2 in March and that is when i will probably start he HAS been telling that he has gone poop but he doesnt know when its happening yet and pull ups dont work lol....and my son HATES his potty chair lol....but every kid is different though so for now i moved him into a 'big boy' bed and then potty training will come after that when he is used to his bed.....and the binkie needs to go too lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son was under 2 when he was fully potty trained but this was because he watched his older brother (who was 3) when he started potty training and he wanted to do exactly what his brother did. Both boys were easy for me because we made a big deal of them being "big boys" and they both potty trained at the exact same time! It was great!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I am starting now and my son is 21 months.
    CashJulianMommy

Answer by CashJulianMommy at 2:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You asked how early is too early. The rare boy will be ready to try at 18 mos, but that's rare! I wouldn't try before that for sure. For my sons 2 yrs was the time to start. Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• it dependents on the boy my boy is behind alot 3 year 10 months but dont stress it will happen put them in jocks sometimes around the home regard them with lollies if they go to the toliet or potty
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 5:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• we started my son at 13 months old. he's 2 1/2 and he's been trained for 3 months now during the day. he loved being on the potty and now tells us when he needs to go. there are still accidents every once in a while and thats okay. i really do think it depends on the child and there isnt a right time for beginning. we started when he could walk really well and could get off the potty chair by himself. if he didnt want to sit there and try...then he didnt. good luck :)
    Mare1180

Answer by Mare1180 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009