when is the earliest you can find out the sex

hi everybody OK here is my question i will be 14weeks on Monday. and i go to the doctor they are already talking about being able to tell me the sex of the baby but i thought you had to wait till you were 20 weeks or so on

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 12:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the baby develops the parts at about 13 weeks but it's very hard to see them that soon. they generally do the gender US at between 18-20 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• that's such a good answer! Why did they post it anonymously?
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• 16 weeks is the earliest but Most dr.s like to wait till 20.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I found out 13 weeks 2 days.
    Heydes01

Answer by Heydes01 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• apparently 13 wks, but its so hard to see, and its inaccurate at times, so some docs wait til 20 wks. if you're have an amniocentesis (sp?) they can definitely tell though
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I found out at 14 weeks
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have 3 boys & one daughter. With the boys I found out at 13 weeks with all three, the girl I was more like 16, 17 weeks.
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 1:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I don't know when the genitals are formed well enough to be distinct enough to tell the difference, because a female fetus' clitoris is engorged when her genitals are forming and until she matures and the the clitoris goes down to normal size, it is sometimes difficult to discern the difference between that and a penis. Ultrasonography has come a long way in the past 20 years, though, so they may have the technology. Then you will need to worry about a shy baby...lol. All 3 of my girls brought their knees up at ALL of their u/s and so we had no clue what gender they were until they were born. Best wishes to you!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The babies sex organs are developed at 13 weeks i found out at 15 weeks by ultrasound then a 4d at the end im having a baby boy and i saw his little sac and everything lol good luck :)
    nyyankeecutee

Answer by nyyankeecutee at 5:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2009