when to take baby off formula!

my baby will be one years old in about a month, i know that you can start giving them real milk after they turn one, when should i take her off formula, she only drinks like 3 bottles a day now, she only uses it to put her to sleep. i give her similac advance. should i start to give her the similac grow one???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's a transition from formula to whole milk. so you start taking away the formula when you start introducing the milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My theory behind the formula to milk thing was that I would make the switch once I felt like I could get in enough of a variety of foods every day to meet my 1 year old's nutritional needs. By the time she was 13 months old I was confident that she was eating enough and liking a wide enough variety of foods that I could gradually wean her from formula over to cow's milk. Continuing to give formula beyond 1 year of age isn't bad-just expensive.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:30 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• What I did was I made sure that my daughters were getting the nutrition they needed I've always had my kids on vitamins(the ones my doctor would advice)and then I would give them milk in their cups every so often during the day just to make sure they were ok with the digestion and everything first.My kids were usually on milk betwwen 11 and 13 months it just depended on them.
    Memphismommyof3

Answer by Memphismommyof3 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You can give the toddler formula if you want to and can afford it. I just give milk in the cup instead of formula once they have their birthday. It works fine. It doesn't upset the baby at all. If your little one won't tolerate milk, you'll know within the first 2 cups and you can go back to formula for awhile. Formula doesn't hurt toddlers, it's about your preference and what you can afford. Good luck :)
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You can switch her to milk once she's eating a fairly balanced diet with her food. Until that point, she should still be on formula....and there is no actual need for the toddler formulas. (waste of money, just a marketing ploy by the formula companies to get more money for a longer time)

There's nothing "magical" about the day they turn one and switching to milk. (and unless they won't take milk, there is no reason to gradually wean them over) If she's eating well, you can switch her now if you wanted to.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:31 AM on Jan. 2, 2009