When....

When did you start giving your baby Infant Cereal? Our pediatrician says 6 months but our daughter is drinking more than 6 ounces of formula every 3 hours like she's not getting enough to eat. She's going to be 4 months old this month.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Pediatrician wanted us to wait until 6 months. We ended up starting about 2 weeks early simply because my son was needing supplementation due to a drop in my milk supply which caused him to lose weight and I preferred to mix cereal with formula over giving it in a bottle.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• We started at 4 months. My daughter had reflux so the doctor suggested it.

If you are concerned about her eating, talk to your doctor. If she is still gaining weight at the proper weight, then she probably doesn't need it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I started introducing cereal at 4 1/2 months, but just to "practice" with. Annika only got like 1 TBS of very thin rice cereal per day just to get used to the spoon feeding thing. That does seem to be a lot of formula....but maybe it's a growth spurt that will taper off soon. If she's hungry she'll just eat more formula. She can (and should) get all of her nutrition and calorie needs from formula until she is 6 months old. Just humour her eating habits until then.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Thanks for all the help. I'll call the pediatrician if it doesn't seem like its getting any better and see what he suggests. ^.^
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• 4-6 months is the norm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• we were told 4 months for ceral and not until 6 months for veggies and fruits.
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 12:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2009