Mother in-law problems

Ok me and my husband have been taking care of his two younger brothers 15 and 14 well the 15 yearold had been hanging out with some kids that did drugs and we told him he couldn't hang out with them so he ranaway. Myhusband brought him back home. his friends followed them and started to threaten us one even said he would burn the house down with me and my daughter inside. well we ended up sending him back to his mom and for some stupid reason she let him stay the night with those same friends. they came to my door a 1:oo in the morning throwing rocks and tipping over my grill and tearing up a whole bunch of stuff. They got away with everything. Well I wrote my mother in-law a very very nasty email I don't have her phone number because they won't give it to me. Anyway now my husband is ticked off at me too and I'm seriously thinking about divoce.

mommomof1

Asked by mommomof1 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• what exactly is your question?id like to help
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Wow, that's a tough situation. Your husband needs to know that if he won't stand up to her that you will. If he thinks it's not your place to address issues with his side of the family then he needs to be the spokesperson to address all issues. AND if you are going to be a surrogate mother to his bratty teenage brothers, then you WILL have some authority and say in what goes on with them. He has to back you up on that. Don't jump to the divorce conclusion yet, that seems a little rash.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• so why is what the boys did your MIL's fault? she did not deserve a "very very nasty" email. The boys are 14-15 and have their own brains. your MIL has no control over their actions or obviously the boys would not have been living with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Did you file a police report and was your DH upset because of the letter you wrote?

Something has to be done. You and your daughter were threatened. You can't assume it was an idle threat either. I would be afraid and pissed.

Tough situation. Do you have a video camera? If so...if you see or hear them outside next time grab it and start videoing. Then you have evidence. Keep it close to the door and charged. I would file a police report about the threat they made. You don't have to press charges but you can make a report. I had to do this on one of my neighbors. So if anything else happened I can show proof there was previous problems.

I wish you all the best and I'm so sorry this is happening. If your DH isn't supporting you and trying to keep you guys safe then I would have to consider other options also.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Did you call the police? Thats probably the first thing I would have done. So what if the brother gets arrested and has to spend a night in jail? It will teach him a lesson.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Well this has been going on for almost 2 full years. I'm getting sick from the stress. And he acts like I'm the bad one because I'm finally sck of her. I mean I married him not his family!!!!
    mommomof1

Answer by mommomof1 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I we called the police several time and they couldn't do anything!!!! And it is her fault she let him stay with those kids even after we old her about the drugs and stuff and we even live in another town about 25 miles from where they live. He can't just walk out here.
    mommomof1

Answer by mommomof1 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• when you married him, his family is part of him. Sorry you didn't realize that sooner. I mean seriously, are you gonna tell the divorce court judge "After 2 years I decided I didn't like his family"

like the others said though, file a police report. Maybe if the law gets involved, MIL might be able to help contain the boys better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The only reason th boys are living with us is because she has no job she's a bum and can't even take care of herself. and the younger boy doesn't give us any problems at all.
    mommomof1

Answer by mommomof1 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• And yes would go to court and tell the judge that I can't stand his family. Because they stress me out so much I'm on meds!!!!!!! It was never like this before we got married and we datedfor 5 years before we got married!
    mommomof1

Answer by mommomof1 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2009