When is the best time to transition from a crib to toddler bed?

When did you transition?

MiMiKKrY

Asked by MiMiKKrY at 12:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the best answer is when they start to make attempts to crawl out of the crib.my son was in a toddler bed right after he turned one.
    mcoche08

Answer by mcoche08 at 12:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• tonight is my DS's first time in his big boy bed :) and he is did VERY welll...he learned out to crawl out of his crib like 4 months ago but i didnt want to put him into a bed just yet....and since i got a new bed for christmas i was just going to use my old twin bed for his bed and get one of those rail thingies and i went out and got one today a long with Car sheets so he would feel comfortable cause he also had the car sheets in his crib too and when i told him it was time for bed he went to his crib and i told him that isnt your bed anymore that is sissys (she has been sleeping in a playpen) and i pointed to his bed and he climbed right on in and got under the covers and was alseep within 45 mintues or so but i also am taking naps away as well since we all share a room together for now but every child is different
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Most crib manufacturers recommend the age of 2 1/2 as a general rule of thumb for transitioning, but I think that when a child is able to crawl out and roam the house, then I would rather have them get out of a bed instead of possibly falling from a crib rail and hurting himself. It is also time to either get one of those inexpensive door alarms that beep when he opens his bedroom door, childproof the entire house, and most especially his room, if you haven't already done so. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Most crib have a height limit of 35 1/2 inches. Other than that, the best time to do it is when you want to move them.

I would do it before he begins to climb...my cousin broke her leg crawling out of her crib for the first time.

We switched outs at 15 months. Right to a regular bed....toddler beds are nice, but won't last forever.

When you do make the move, put them in the new bed, but REMOVE the crib from sight. There is more likely to be difficulty with the switch if they can still see the crib.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• about two three yers old when you feel comfortable it and when they sleeping for you both
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 5:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I never used a toddler bed. My oldest went into a twin bed at 18 months. I was pregnant and did not want to have 2 cribs so we made a really big deal about him getting a new bed. I took my son shopping and he got to pick out his comforter and his sheets and then we set everything up. We started him before the baby came so he was already sleeping in the bed when the baby was born.

My middle child was flipping out of his crib at 9 months. I thought this was to early, but by 12 months he was in a twin bed as well.

We used twin beds because I knew they would only be in a toddler bed for a short period of time. We put one side against the wall and the other had a rail so they could not fall out.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I did when my daughter was a little over a year..she started getting out of it and i was afraid of her getting hurt...
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Depends on the child. All 3 of mine went to the "big kid bed"(toddler) at around their 2nd birthday

. My first because his sister was being born.

my daughter because he was asking for one, and my last because he was climbing out and I didnt want him to fall.
    miabelladebra

Answer by miabelladebra at 8:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I moved mine from the cot to the big beds they now sleep in around 16 months. By this age they were climbing out of the cot so it was a safety issue. I used bed rails for the first couple of years to make sure they wouldn't fall out (and they never did).
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 9:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My daughter climbed out of her crib and did a head dive at 9 months. It was set as low as it could go. SO she started co-sleeping. She got her toddler bed for Christmas last year, and sleeps in that most of the time. It is in our room now, we will move it sooner or later.
    Alinarainesmama

Answer by Alinarainesmama at 9:29 AM on Jan. 2, 2009