I have asked this before but hoping to get more responses... Has anyone else dealt with issues of their child biting themselves?

I need help... My daughter bites herself when she gets mad.
Whenever she gets upset with someone/something she bites her arm really hard. This makes big bite marks and eventually bruises. She will scream as she's doing it and bite down at the same time then cries when she's done because it hurt. The only thing is she hasn't learned yet. This has been going on for months. Has anyone else's child done this before? Oh she is turning 2 next month if that means anything.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 7:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is 1yo. She is just now starting to bit herself, but not hard. when I'm able to catch her, or know she's about to bit herself, I simply hold her arms down or try and distract her from biting. My brother, who is now 13, used to bite himself, HARD, as you mentioned. Of course it's a phase they're going through, but my mother let him bite away, because in fact, he did eventually learn. The doctor told us that there's really nothing you can do besides redirect. Try googling some answers :) goodluck!

Also, maybe you can give her something to bite when she gets mad, like a blanket, or something of that sort that won't hurt her or she won't hurt it :)
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 7:51 AM on Sep. 21, 2011

• my son did the same thing. i sat him down and told him that biting isn't nice, even if it's ourselves and that he could get a really bad boo boo. he has a temper and would hit and throw things too. it has taken a lot of patience and consistency. i had to remind him a lot that it's okay to be mad but it's not okay to do dangerous and hurtful things. we practice stomping and saying "i'm mad because...". he is almost three now and he only bites his thumbs now and has stopped hitting and throwing. (we just started with thum polish two days ago and i think it is working for the thumb biting) hope this helps!
    collinsmomma656

Answer by collinsmomma656 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2011

• my son self bites out of frustration,he is non verbal and special needs
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 4:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2011

• My cousin did that when she was little. My aunt just explained to her that biting herself wasn't going to get back at anyone else and held up a mirror to her one time while she did it and she saw how silly she looked and stopped
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 8:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2011

• Our DD (2.5) hits herself when she is angry at us. She looks me right in the eye while she does it, almost like she is saying, "see what you made me do?" I stay very nonreactive and remind her that she is only hurting herself, and she usually stops.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2011