MY MONTH OLD IS CONSTIPATED, WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HER?

SHE IS GRUNTING AND TRYING SO HARD. I KNOW THEY MAKE BABY LAXITIVE BUT NOT SURE IF THAT IS SOMETHING I CAN GIVE TO HER AT THIS AGE. I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ELSE TO DO, MY 3 YEAR OLD NEVER GOT CONSTIPATED. PLEASE HELP ME HELP HER.

LJEDWARDS1123

Asked by LJEDWARDS1123 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MY SON HAS HAD DIARREHEA FOR 2 DAYS ALREADY AND I GAVE HIM APPLE JUICE SO GIVE HER THAT AND SHE'LL GET DIARREHEA TOO;]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• prune juice...you can dilute it
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 1:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son has issues with going to the bathroom since birth.He is now 8 and a half months old I give him 1-2 ounces of prune juice everyday (which my doc said yes to)or they make little supposatories(i think that is how u spell it...lol)or a laxative.It never hurt him I know every child is different but I hope that helps.
    Memphismommyof3

Answer by Memphismommyof3 at 1:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Is she breastfed or bottlefed? Breastfed babies can go a week without pooping and they are fine and healthy.
    CashJulianMommy

Answer by CashJulianMommy at 2:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My 2 youngest from time to time would get copnstipated. What we did when this would happen, We would get one of those medicine droppers and fill it with apple juice,pear juice or white grape juice. Then we would give it to one of our boys every 3-4 hours just like medicine. Until of course they would poo. Also you can stimulate the rectum with either vaseline and a q-tip or ky and a q-tip. Another thing that helps is doing bycicle motion excersizes to help work things downward. They lay on their back and you raise their legs up and push gently towards their tummy and make their legs move like pumping a bike. BTW for the juice thing its 1 tsp. ever 3-4 hours. Good luck!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 3:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Not pooping is not constipation.

What was her last poop like, and when was it? What is her diet? These are things to consider. In a baby so young, I don't know that I would do anything at all. If the baby is breastfed, there is nothing to be done. If the baby is formula fed, you might try a formula with less iron in it. Breastfed babies can go like, 10 days without pooping as long as it's not hard, dry or pellet like. Not sure on the stats for a formula baby, but I believe a day or two is ok, again, as long as it's not hard dry or pellet like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• at 2 months my son had the same problem. we were told to try giving him an ounce of water every 4 hours, when that didn't work they had us to the same with apple juice, and when that did work they had us tdo the same with prune juice... that worked!
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 12:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Try alittle pear juice, if juice doesnt work you can try a tsp karo syrup. I know that sounds weird but it works. I work for a pediatrician so I see this everyday. Good luck! I hope you've found some help or that your huasband is back to help you! If I lived there I would be happy to help!
    ARichey

Answer by ARichey at 2:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• FYI: If your baby is breastfed, this does not mean there is nothing that can be done. It is not normal for a 1 mo old to not go for 10 days! Also, diarrhea is not better than constipation, that can lead to dehydration.
    ARichey

Answer by ARichey at 2:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2009