sahm going back into the as my hub puts it working world?

i am a sahm mom of a 7 month old .....due to money issues i must go back to work...i havent worked since may of 07.....any advice for me would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Did you weigh the costs of child care? I know in my area it is just better for me to stay home. If I was to work my net profit after childcare, gas, clothes, lunches came to about 25-50 extra dollars a week. So we continued to make sacrifices, like no hair salon for me and clipped coupons and stuff and have been fine.

But the money you make does depend on your experience and level of education so good luck in whatever you decide.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i sell pampered chef around husbands hours no sitter needed
    MommyJa

Answer by MommyJa at 1:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Boy, it's a tough time to have to go back. You might start by contacting your last employer. See if there are any openings. And even if there aren't...ask for a letter of reference.

Then...take a look at your former employer's competitors.

Yeah, you could do something like Pampered Chef or Avon, etc....but these days I honestly wouldn't go into selling of that kind. Disposable incomes have dropped too much.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I wish you well and pray that you won't have to pay much for child care. Will you and your hubby work different or overlapping shifts so that one of you can be with the baby instead of him being in child care all the time? Child care costs will take most of your paycheck and make going back to work seem pointless. Be sure to get plenty of rest whenever you can, eat healthy and bring healthy snacks to work with you, remain positive and listen to motivational cd's or read motivational books, and work it out with your husband to have a couple hours all to yourself at least once a week on your day off from work where you can either soak in the tub, hang out with your friends, or go have your hair done. Best wishes!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Ignore everyone else and just do your job. Lots of back stabbing going on right now, due to people feeling threatened about losing their jobs! Daughter was lucky, she was #7 on the layoff list, and they only went to #6! I am feeling good!!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Try temp agencies. I went back to work during a 'good' job market and had trouble. Sharpen up you interview skills, resume and make sure you update your computer skills; excel, powerpoint, access, word if you plan on doing the office environment. Also you maybe able to get help from your unemployment office/job & family services dept.

Like everyone else said make sure it is worth the money or work opposite shifts.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 2:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Definitely look into the cost of acceptable child care and figure that in to your budget to see if any job you look into would really put you ahead or not.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I just went back to work after being home for 7 yrs. I can't believe I even found a job much less the one I snagged, I only make 10 bucks an hr ( is that good or bad?) we have only after care services to pay for & that's like 30 bucks a week if she goes everyday, but I love seeing my name on that paycheck knowing I'm helping even if it's just a little ya know.
    Anonymous

• I'm a consultant with DiamondCreek Candles
    http://www.diamondcreekcandles.com/reps/staci1228.php
    I also do medical transcription from home. We decided that if I returned to work my whole paycheck would go to childcare so it's cheaper for me to stay home. Besides, doing the above two jobs I feel like I'm contributing money wise to the house. Let me know if you need a hand if you want to get started with the candles!! As far as the MT, go on line and check out some courses.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009