• In the Spotlight:

Vit K Shot

Whats the point of a Vitamin K shot after a baby is born?? I guess im not understanding why they have to put something in the baby right away. What does a vit K shot do? Is it neccesary? If I find I dont want them to give my new born this shot am I able to keep them from doing so??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://babyreference.com/VitaminKinjectORnot.htm

This site may help.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Newborns can not produce Vit K. Vit K is naturally produced by the body for clotting factors. It helps to prevent or keep the newborn from bleeding into the brain and other major organs after birth for a few weeks until they can naturally produce it.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• so the vit K is not a immunization
    is this something the mother can provide through what she eats before the baby is born
    or is it something that has to be made specifically by the body (or given by shot)
    Is it dangerous?

(i am trying to research it online as well)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• No, it is not an immunization. No, there is nothing you can do to make the baby produce Vit. K. It is done specifically by the body. I am not aware of any harm that has come to infants due to the Vit K shot. I worked in the Newborn nursery for awhile at one of our large hospitals and gave it to every infant. I never had a parent say they did not want it. But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened before.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• thank you =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You're welcome. Best wishes.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• This is a good question. I am considering home birth this time and I was wondering how they get the shot. Does the midwife do it? Do you take them to the hospital within 24 hrs?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I didn't give to my son and he is perfectly fine. Why cause a newborn baby pain when it isn't needed?
    CashJulianMommy

Answer by CashJulianMommy at 2:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son didn't get the vitamin k shot. There was no need, he was not bruised from labor, had no bleeding (my son is intact) , and was never in any kind of distress. I got a lot of grief from the doctors about this. Babies naturally begin to produce vitamin k around the 8th day.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 3:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If you have a son that you want circumcised they will recommend you don't skip out on the shot. I gave it to my son but he didn't get Hep B and they can't make you.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2009