Engorged and won't letdown

i think my milk came in today. the tops of my breasts feel like theres gravel in there, but the bottom is still squishy. it soooo painful. i noticed my colostrum is coming out faster and i leaked a huge spot of one or the other earlier. but it won't just come out. idk if this is making sense, but can anyone help me bring on the letdown?

i have tried nursing, hot washcloths, massage, and getting ready to take a hot shower. what else should i try?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 1:31 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• baby is the best best BEST way to encourage it to come down and increase supply. But I agree with gdiamante...you've pretty much got it covered...just don't give up. Sometimes it's reallly difficult to get the ladies to what you want them to. I had something similar to what you're describing....you can get in the shower...run some warm water over yourself while expressing your breasts as if you were bf or pumping..... then after you get out pump or bf. This should help a bit. Just pump or feed often until it comes down for you. Maybe once an hour or something might work for you. also warm compresses may help with the swelling and pain. good luck!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 4:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Eeeeek, I'm dealing with engorgement right now too, it sucks so friggin bad :(

My letdown happened the last time I tried to nurse (it scared the crap out of me, I had no idea what it was lmao). But now I'm just having to deal with it, since I'm going to all-formula. Blah.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Try pumping and massaging the breasts.
    CashJulianMommy

Answer by CashJulianMommy at 2:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You've pretty well covered the bases....all but actually putting the baby on the breast and just letting him/her do the suckling work.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I agree with Adeline1210 - she advises perfectly. I was told, though, that the more you pump and BF, the more your produce. I could never find a happy medium to that - I was super engorged and had to release some before I BF or it would choke the baby and I would pump in between, but I didn't want to pump too often because I didn't want to produce any more than I already was. I wish you the best.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Just nurse on demand. The engorgement sucks, I know, but it is just something you have to deal with until your supply and demand evens out. If you pump, you're just going to produce more milk and will be more engorged. If the baby is not getting the milk down, then call your doctor.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009