weaning of the binkie....need help

my son is 2 and still has it :( no matter what i do he still sucks on it.....i have cut the ends off and he sucks on it....tried throwing it away he takes it out....and right now i just put him into his big boy bed and i plan on starting the weaning process once he is used to it but i dont know what i can do to wean...my daughter needs to be weaned as well so its fair..any help would be much appericated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Any weaning that I have ever done has been quick. I let the child watch me throw it away. I am not mean about it, I explain why it is important in a calm manner (even if they are screaming their heads off) After I throw it away, I make sure that the item is gone and never to return. In a dumpster some where, in a garbage bag taken out to the garage or right out to the curb.

Most of the time there are a few days of pure hell but then it ends and it is over. Sometimes I have been lucky and had no screaming or just a little venting from the child.

Just get rid of it. Be strong mommy!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have the same issue - My daughter is 2 1/2 and her binkie is her only "comfort" (well, she still wants a bottle of milk morning and night). My Pediatric dentist friend says don't worry until they are three. We keep telling her that "3 year olds don't use binkies"", and we will put them in a box and mail them to babies that need them"..... we have about 4 more months until she's 3-yikes.

I have friends that say "go cold turkey"
    "throw one away a day"
    "cut a hole in the ends - one a day"
    "tell them they are broken and have them throw them away themselves"

I don't want to cause undue stress or sadness but I don't want to hurt her teeth....4 months!!!
    Good luck!
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 1:57 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• We took Noah's away on his 2nd birthday. I let him have it on the plane during our vacation at the time and when we got back I just took it. It started to be more for me than him anyways. Try to only let him have it maybe at nap and bedtime. Then only bedtime. Then throw it out. Yes he will cry but it will only be a little and then he will forget about it
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 2:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• honestly, know one will ever know if he sucked on a binky til he was three or even four. i know thats not ideal and most kids give it up but throwing them away all of a sudden or cutting holes in them is stressful for them and they dont really understand. i dont see what the big deal is if its there only comfort. try just using the binky for a fussy time and bed time and thats it but just cutting them off is not always the best solution. They have always been able to have them and they dont understand why all of a sudden their "bad" or they "don't work". Just something to think about it. ppl get irritated and make ride comments about babies who are to old for bottles and binkies but its not like it will ever go on a school transcript or job resume =D
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 4:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i took my first daughters binkie and bottle away cold turkey when she was 10 months old. she cried for about 2 days and then was fine. with my 2nd, she rejected it at a month...i think 2 years old is wayy too old (in my opinion) to be having a binkie..their teeth can rot on that material
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• and to CaityMarie, it wont be on a transcript or job resume, but their bad teeth will definately play a part in getting jobs
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• try just throwing it away but give him a loolly pop say good boy
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 4:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I weaned my first child off of her pacifier around the age of 2 by taking it from her while she slept so that she first got used to not having it during sleep. Then during the day I would hide it for longer periods of time until she couldn't calm herself down to take a nap. One day I put mustard on it and she wouldn't suck on it because it was yucky. Even after I washed it, she saw that the mustard had stained it yellowish and refused to put it in her mouth. Every child is different, so try different methods until one works for your child. Thumbs and blankies are harder habits to break - the pacifier was easy.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:08 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Don't wean. Take it away. It's over in a few days. Granted...it's an unhappy few days for everyone, but then it's done and over.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• We just went through this with my son a few months ago when he turned 2. He actually started self-weaning a few months prior - he refused to use it outside of the house (ie., at daycare) and would take it out of his mouth as soon as we pulled up, but when we picked him up in the afternoon he'd want the binky back. The week before his 2nd birthday we started telling him big boys don't use binkys, and on the night of his 2nd birthday we took it away. He had a little trouble sleeping at night for a few days, but after that no problems at all. Don't drag it out, just do it.
    savagehumor

Answer by savagehumor at 8:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2009