Have you heard of S.I.D.S. (sudden infant death syndrome)?

my son is 3&1/2 months old and the only way he will stay asleep is if i lay him on his belly. he's been sleeping like that since he was about 1 month old. he's pretty good about not facing down but i have caught him several times like that and when i do, i run to him and my heart skips a beat and i get so scared. when i try to lay him on his back he wakes himself up by scaring himself with his hand movements. i read about s.i.d.s. and i'm so afraid of it happening to my son. any suggestions? please help! thx!!!!

angelmommy08

Asked by angelmommy08 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just lay him on his back when he is napping in front of me.I guess until he is strong enough to turn over on his own.Since this is a scary matter.HAve you tried laying him on his side???
    luvdby2angels

Answer by luvdby2angels at 6:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• There is a wedge that most baby stores carry that will allow your baby to sleep on his side. It is a lot safer than letting him sleep on his belly.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 6:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• one of the things I read was that sleeping with a binky is supposed to reduce the risk of SIDS by up to 90%. I was super paranoid about SIDS and did everything I could to prevent it. I was awake every 20 minutes all night long every night that whole first year. Try not to worry too much. :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yes, I've heard of it. I knew of a Lady in my area who owned a daycare and a child died from SIDS while in her care. CRAZY! There are little wedge pillows you can get that prop him up.
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• if your baby can not turn his head from side to side on his own yet or sleeps face down then i would get him use to sleeping on his back,even if he dosnt sleep as well you still can feel better doing what is safest for him ,after a while he will get use to it or before you know it he will be turning on his own anyway and that will lower the risk
    nikki7376

Answer by nikki7376 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My baby wouldn't sleep on her back. She would just scream and scream. In the end, I had to put her to sleep on her tummy. It was nerve racking! I got one of the baby monitors that senses movements like breathing to help ease my mind. I was so relieved when she learned to roll over and it didn't matter which way she slept anymore.

Try swaddling your little guy so he doesn't scare himself with his hands. It didn't work for me but it might for you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• There are no certain things that can cause SIDS. On that note, there are many suggestions on preventing SIDS but no true way. My sister's kids slept on their bellies from day 1 and they're both healthy kids, my daughter only started to sleep on her belly and her sides at 5 months old. She hated the wedges because I was obsess with not letting her sleep on her belly but we gave up on it and she's fine. All I can say is if that's the only way your son will sleep, is you can buy one of those monitors that goes under the sheets that detects movement if he doesn't move in a couple minutes the alarm will go off. They recommend those at the hospital I delivered for any infants that are high risk for SIDS.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 8:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• all four of my children have been belly sleepers, none used a pacifier and none had any problems with SIDS. If you need to ease your mind they have monitors that baby can sleep on to detect movement/lack of movement
    abayhaymom

Answer by abayhaymom at 9:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• my daughter always prefered her stomach, I would let her fall asleep on it then when she was completely down I would turn her onto her back, then since she could roll over on her own she has been a tummy sleeper, nothing I could do about it as the minute I put her down she would flip to it....but my Dr advised once she could turn over it was fine not to keep fighting with her about it
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• see i heard sids could be caused from infant choking on their own saliva or milk,sufficating themselves not enough air way,and ive also heard from doctors that sids is more common in parents who were on drugs during pregnancy most common cocaine...so i dont thjink doctors or anybody knows the cause of sids theyre just tryin to be extra cautious and say not to do anything that seems like it could be possiblity for sids
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 16, 2008