My family and their heavy smoking caused me to get a sinus infection at almost 9 months pregnant. Do I tell them?

I come from a family of chain smokers. My mother, she smokes almost an entire carton a day herself in her home with little to no ventilation.
We were invited to my parents house last week for a holiday celebration and I told them I was hesitant to go because of all the smoke. My five chain smoking sisters and father would be there as well.

They said that they would not smoke inside the house that day. Well after a several hour drive, my fiance, his son, and I arrive at my parents house and they all were chain smoking like nothing was ever said.

We cut our visit short and did not make a fuss about all the second hand smoke.

Two days later I was sick with a sinus infection and am now on antibiotics.

The doctor says it is likely from the smoke and the decreased immune system while pregnant.

Should I tell my family wha

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:57 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think that you absolutely should NOT tell them. They aren't going to believe it - and it will just cause an argument and or hard feelings, which is something you don't need right now. Telling them will not make the infection better, but it could hurt your relationships. I agree that it could very well be the cause of your sinus infection - but it could be the fact that you went out in the cold that day....... If your mother - and sisters smoked during their pregnancy they will NOT believe it to be the cause.  I would, however, make it clear that when the baby comes, they will have to visit you, due to the smoking. If they say that they won't smoke the day your coming - you can remind them that you tried that........

dreamaker

Answer by dreamaker at 2:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Oh I'd be so pissed at my family if they did that. I absolutely didn't tolerate smoking around me while pregnant, and I won't tolerate it around my baby. You have all the right to tell them why you're sick.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• yeah you should... they shouldnt be smoking around you or a child
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 2:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think you should let it go until it comes time to visit again then let them know that you cannot visit because you got an infection from all the smoke last time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• uhh no. i would tell them. but why didnt you say anything when you walked in the door in the first place?? i myself am a smoker but if my kids go somewhere where there's smoke, we either ask the person to go outside or leave.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You can tell them you are sick, but you can't tell them now that it was caused by the second-hand smoke. As soon as you walked into the door you had every right to turn around and walk right back out. I do not go into anyone's house if they are a smoker, whether they are smoking when I arrive or not. Whether they believe it or not, their house stinks. Being a non-smoker makes me more sensitive to it, I suppose, but I prefer a fresh, clean smell myself. Telling them it is their fault now wouldn't be right because it is as much your fault as it is theirs.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2009