i have a six year old who still poops his pants how do i get him to quit?

i have tried everything and i dont know what else to do please help me

daydream24

Asked by daydream24 at 2:19 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would make an appt with your Ped. There is an actual medical reason for some children to still have accidents like this. I'm not saying your child has a medical issue but it might be worth talking to your Ped about. I wish you the best.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My autistic step son is ready to turn five this week. He was all potty trained except for pooping his pants.

A few weeks ago I started having him clean up the mess himself. He hated touching his own poop so now he goes in the potty.

It was easier than I thought actually, it was not abusive, it was just a lesson as to why it is important to go in the potty instead of pants.

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• He might be constipated. My son does this when he doesn't want to go #2.. He is much better since I have him eat a vanilla Activia yogurt or other yogurt almost every day. the probiotics help keep things moving. And I also give my son Miralax a couple times a week. It's a very gentle acting powder that tastes like nothing and you can put it an any drink.

I have talked to my dr and it's fairly common for kids, esp boys to do this at this age. Talk to your dr and check out webmd or other similar site about constipation in children or bowel habits. Buy lots of white underwear and bleach but check it out and encourage fiber foods and fluids as well to help.

Good luck.
    Nieciebabe

Answer by Nieciebabe at 5:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009