Baby Monitor - When to stop using it?

So, my son is nearly 15 months, and we still use a baby monitor for him at night. He isn't regularly sleeping through the night all the time (mostly he does, but he goes through phases of waking up). His room is far enough from ours that we wouldn't necessarily hear him if he cried at night, and I am wondering about the ethics/safety of stopping the use of the monitor... It is getting to be a hassle b/c the power cord doesn't work so we go through three or four batteries a week (expensive 9-volts!) and I want to know if it would be careless or okay to quit listening for him at night... Any thoughts???

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 2:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think its more of when you're comfortable of getting rid of it..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If you feel comfortable not monitoring him then try it, but if deep down you don't and you are just tired of buying new batteries all the time, then either find a replacement power cord (the manufacturer of the monitor would have them) or buy a new monitor. You can even find used monitors at Thrift Stores or Consignment Shops. It's all about what you are comfortable doing at this point, and if you are asking, then I am assuming that you want to keep monitoring. HUGS
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• when they are out of cot and in a bed
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 5:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• keep it for abit longer for him because get him into a sleeping pattern i have alot of trouble at 3 years still my boy behid alot but getting better
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 5:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It's totally when YOU are comfortable with it.

Our boys sleep with the doors shut and unless they REALLY cry out I wouldn't hear them. We still have monitors in their rooms.

We may be moving later this spring and if we do get the house we're considering, we will be at one end of the house and all of their rooms are at the other. We'll still have monitors. We're trying now to decide if we would still have on one in the 4 year olds room. (obviously only at night)

Personally, at 15 months...I'd buy a new monitor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If I were you, I would buy a new baby monitor. Use it for as long as you feel you need to.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• never, I plan on using mine after they are teenagers. so this old lady know whne they sneak in the front door. planting it behind the couch so they don't know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• haha anonymous. that is pretty good thinking! But as for for the questionee, i would just buy a new monitor. If probably would cost just the same to get the new one as it would spending money on batteries all the time. I don't use one at night anymore with my son who is 13 months, because we are on the same level, and if he cries i can hear him. But when he naps, he is upstair and i am down stairs ( I cant' wait till i buy a 1 story house!!!!!) so i use the monitor because i am usually downstairs doing things and i can't hear. So its up to you!
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 10:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My DD is 20 months and we still use one. My DH teases me about it, but I say when she is able to come into our room and tell me when she's not feeling well, or if she needs something, that's when I'll stop using one. Ultimately, I think it's whatever you feel comfortable with...don't let anyone pressure you...it's your decision.
    Kynsicat

Answer by Kynsicat at 6:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'd keep using a monitor until he is in a bed and can easily come into your room to get you if he needs you. With all the money you are spending on batteries, I would just buy a new monitor.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009