How do you define prayer? How do you pray?

Do you meditate?

Do you place yourself in a biblical scene and see the sights, smell the smells, feel the emotions of the scene?

Do you chant? 

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 2:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Prayer is having a conversation with God.
    I usually pray out loud.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• I guess for me it's just thinking/planning. Sometimes it's out loud, sometimes written down, sometimes i run it by someone else...
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• I guess I would define prayer just as talking to God, talking to Him about the stresses & worries in my life & thanking Him for the happiness & blessings He's sent me. Sometimes I pray in silence with my hands together & head bowed, sometimes just lying in bed & sometimes just talking out loud while driving, either way, it's talking to God about whatever I want to talk about at that moment. There really is no right or wrong way to pray . . . . . . just pray:)
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• Prayer, *for me*, is more meditative.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• For me it's talking to God, there's no right or wrong way, sometimes i do it out loud and sometimes i do it in my head, eyes open or closed, doesn't matter, so long as the line is open and we're communicating, that's prayer to me.
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• Meditation, for me, is the awareness that I am not the thoughts, nor the thinker, but instead the neutral awareness of both. There is no wanting, no searching. Just observation, and allowing what is.
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• To me, a prayer is any way a person sends up thoughts to their higher power or to the Universe.

Personally, you could say I pray all day long as I am constantly speaking to the Divine within me. However, if you want more formality...I tend to meditate sometimes using a lit candle to focus on and sometimes not. And I also do magick to send prayers to the Divine and Universe.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• I'm more meditative than prayerful... of course as a pantheist I don't have a concept of a personified deity to pray to. Sometimes I just like sitting meditation (silently), other times I like chanting meditation... once I had an opportunity to do chanting meditation in a group and it was great!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• I guess I think of prayer as some kind of communication with God or gods, sometimes I think more specifically about pleas to God for help or guidance or just giving thanks or praise to the divine. Some may see this 'divine' as something outside themselves while others may see it as the divine within themselves or something like that, & so prayer may be a little different for different people depending on what their views of the divine are. Personally, I meditate, but I don't pray. As a Pantheist, I just see God as a metaphor or poetic way to describe feelings for the Universe or impersonal forces of Nature. I don't believe in a God or gods that can interfere with human affairs or intervene on anyone's behalf. When I meditate, I usually just sit in silence, but I have chanted, used chimes to start or end a meditation, done guided meditations, etc. I also think singing/music could be a form of mediation or prayer for some.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• Hmm it's a lot of things to me. I talk to Him throughout the day because He's basically my best friend. Then there are times when I am on my knees in tears praising Him or asking for help. Other time I just pray in my head and many times I pray out loud : ) and I LOVE meditating on His word.
    WeLuvOurNUGGET

Answer by WeLuvOurNUGGET at 7:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2011