Immunization research

I am currently going through immunization research and making the tough decision to continue to vax or not. So far my son has had 2. The HIB vaccination HibTiter was discontinued April 13th 2007...but what I can't find is the reason why. Does anyone know why? Currently there are two other manufactures and one specifically that I wanted to give because it was the safest of all evils. Long story short he got the discontinued one and I'm not happy about it. I had assumed it was off the market since it was discontinued but apparently its still being used. Someone help!

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 3:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I do not know why it was discontinued - have you asked his pediatrician? I would assume that a vaccination would be discontinued because that particular strain is not a concerned risk anymore. Go to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention site (http://cdc.gov/) and (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/) and the World Health Organization site (http://www.who.int/en/). Hopefully, they will be of help in your research.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• One drug company stopped making it because it was unprofitable. Another drug company is now manufacturing it.
    Anonymous

• discontinued just means they're not making it any more
    recalled is when it's no longer available
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Well, I'd think there'd be a reason to discontinue a vaccine that was making them money! Oh well. i took him to the doc today and made them show me his chart. The nurse aid wrote it down wrong on his shot card. He didn't have the wyeth vaccine he had the sanofi one like I wanted him to have. I feel much better now.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 4:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My dd has only had two sets of vaccines. Shes 2. She hasnt had any problems or whatnot from not having vaccines.
    lunamuse89

Answer by lunamuse89 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• vaccines are not big money makers for drug companies so some of them just refuse to make them anyone. I always laught when one of the arguments against vaccinations is that people make so much money from it! If you think about it, it would make more money if people just went ahead & got all those diseases. there are only about 5 or 6 companies out of 100's that even bother to make vaccines anymore. this is why there are sometimes shortages & why some 3rd world coutries have epidemics of diseases (like polio & meseals) which are controlled here...they just dont have enough vaccine to send over there.
    Anonymous