Hep A & B shots

Saw this in another question/answer and thought I would post it out here for answers as well....

Why does a newborn/infant need to recieve a Hep A & B shots? I could see if the parents had one of these, just to be safe, but if niether did then why should baby?
If Im thinking right Hep B is from sexual contact right? But hep A can be in water, food. But if baby is BF can they still get Hep A?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A newborn doesn't need Hep B unless they plan to have unprotected sex or use IV drugs. Or if mom has it like you mentioned. My son never got it obviously. Hep A is only for certain at risk populations.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son's Pediatrician told us that they do not even routinely give the Hep A vaccination, although Hep B is very much routine.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It's just the best time to have them vaccinated for it because it's more effective if they have the shot when they're infants than when they pass the age of 5. Talk to your pediatrician and he can explain everything to you.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 2:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2009