4 yr old Late Potty trainer that wont go poo

My 4 yr old son is a late potty trainer. He has been in undies during the day for the past 2 weeks. He was waiting until nighttime to go poop in undie diaper, but now he is going in his undies. He will empty the poop out of his undies into potty. Should he be punished for popping in undies? He also has a 3 yr old brother who also is getting potty trained and is doing good on both areas of potty traing. Could the older be doing to get attention? WHAT DO I DUE NOW?

Thank you if you can help

mommytiger3

Asked by mommytiger3 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son was peeing in the potty at age 2 but had to wear pull ups til he was 4 because he was scared to death to poop in the potty. No one could figure out why. It was the daycare teacher who told him that for every time he pee peed in the potty he could get 1 m&m and for everytime he poo pooed in the potty he could have 5 m&m's. For whatever reason, that seemed to work!
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My 4 yo did the same thing! She would poop in her underwear while hiding. I took her to the store and let her pick out new underwear. She loves Cinderella, so that's we got. SHe didn't want to get the princess dirty, so she started going in the potty. I thought I'd never get her to do it! I just tried to be patient and not punish her for it. I also told her that her baby brother needed her pull-ups because he didn't know how to use the potty yet.
    Good luck!
    IndianaMom03

Answer by IndianaMom03 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• No lyou cannot punish him or make him feel bad about it, have you ever read the I can poop book (something like that)to him? It is a great book and highly recommendd. I would also get some kind of chart going for when he does and maybe put a star on then when he gets 5 maybe a prize. Fighing over it never works, or punishing. It is a natural thing and all kids are different. good luck
    mom200818

Answer by mom200818 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2008