Fussy baby, maybe colic should i switch our formula?

I have a 2 mth old son whos taking similac sensitive formula. Lately, hes beeen very very fussy. Only time he is sometimes happy is if you're holding him. He cries everyday for like almost a hour each time. He cries in bouncer, he cries for tummy time, he cries in the swing. My question is should I switch him from similac sensitive to Similac Alimentum (which is used for colicky babies)? OR should I get the similac isomil which is soy? When he cries its like he is in pain and i dont think our formula is doing the trick. any tidbits about the formula would be great. Oh and we use similac becuase we are on WIC and WIC here only does similac now...

kristie0319

Asked by kristie0319 at 5:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Before just switching formulas (which the switch can cause stomach upset for a while, too) talk to your doctor...especially if he cries like he is in pain....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Did you check his gums, could be teething. I had the same problem with mine then I realized she was teething. some baby orajel and she's good now. And mine was 9 weeks when she started teething so yes they can start that young.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would talk to your pediatrician about it. Colic isn't a diagnosis, it's a symptom of something else. Usually tummy related... so a new formula might help... but your doctor could help you choose the right one. If it's a lactose problem often times they have problems with soy also. But it may be reflux problem too... and in addtion to a formula change other things might also need to be done (sometimes medication)
    Also, with WIC your doctor can write for any formula your baby needs... so if your baby needs Enfamil your doctor can write for it and they will cover it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I breastfed my reflux baby, so I can't offer advice about formula, but speak to your doctor to determine the cause of his colic (reflux, milk protein allergy, etc.). He may need medication.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• my 2 month old daughter use to fuss for 3 to 4 hours every day only n the afternoons and nothin u did would comfort her she would cry and her face would turn red draw up her legs and clinch her fist and b really gassy...the colic has seemed to go away but now she has acid reflux and they had her on similac senstive helped a lil then put her on simliac rs she hated it and now she is similac alimentum and that has done great she is now on zantac for her acid reflux...we tryed the gas drops even the ones the doc called n and they did nothin so i would diff talk to ur doc
    Brinkleysmommy1

Answer by Brinkleysmommy1 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009