Should I be worried about not seeing a heartbeat on the US?

Wednesday night, I had a lot of abdominal and back cramps with a little bit of spotting. The doctor on staff told me to come it to check to make sure everything was okay. They did two abdominal US's. Since they only saw the sac, they said they would have to send me for the vaginal. During the vaginal, the fetal pole did not have a heartbeat or any movement. They told me I had two options; take a pill to export it or let it miscarry naturally. I was shocked with the options. I asked if it was possible that I was not as far along as I was told. They said it could be possible. I am following up with my doctor today. My doctor told me I was due on August 6th which means I am in the 9th week. The doctor on staff said the fetal pole looks like it is only 7 weeks. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, please give me your thoughts. I am trying to stay positive. This is my third pregnancy but the other two failed.

JenaElliott

Asked by JenaElliott at 6:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• IF you feel that you may have the wrong due date follow up with your dr. But, at 7wks my dr. was able to see a tiny flicker of a heartbeat..and im sorry to say but it honestly sounds like you miscarried...but if you honestly believe that you are not that far along...just wait it out and see what happens.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 6:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• aww im sorry hun.
    i hope things work out!
    xoxo
    i worry all the time.
    im 7 weeks
    new.mommie.8.19

Answer by new.mommie.8.19 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm sorry I know what your going throw I just miscarried at 9weeks a long. My dr could not find a heart bet. So I went and had a D and E done. Sorry if you did. I hope you did'nt .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm sorry for what you're going through, but the odds are it's a miscarriage. Even if you were not as far along at 7 weeks they still should have been able to see a heartbeat.

If you aren't comfortable tell(don't ask) you're doctor you want to wait a week and have another u/s done. It's your body, and your baby. You have to handle this in what ever way will leave you without those doubts. Losing a baby is hard enough. Don't make it worse with 'what ifs'. Be sure before you make any decision.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and answers. I went to the doctor today and had another US. I was told due to the size, the heart should be beating now. The plan is to wait about a week to see if it will pass naturally. If it does not, then I am going to take a pill to progress the process. I would get a D&C, but there is a chance my uterus will get damaged. With the odds I have had so far, I do not want to chance it. Hopefully things will work out next time. Thanks again for the all of your support.
    JenaElliott

Answer by JenaElliott at 2:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I just wanted to say I'm very sorry for what you're going through. I've been through a m/c and know how hard it can be emotionally. I hope you'll be ok and things will work out for you next time. At 7 wks, you should not have trouble letting things happen naturally.
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 6:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2009