wet nurses?

I was just looking on cm last night and i saw that some people on here still use wet nursesd in america! i was like wth? i know it was big back in the day and in other cultures but nowadays why would you PAY someone to bf your child... dont get me wrong nothing wrong with bfing but if for some reason isnt forumals better then letting your child suck on someone elses tit?? im sorry i just think its really gross even when thety did it a long time ago it was still gross but that was the times.. im not bashing i just think its a little whacked, plus isnt one of the biggest reasons people bf to get a stronger bond with their child.. i dk about you but i wouldnt want my child to have that bond with someone else... JMHO

why would anyone in there right mind let there kid suck someone elses tit

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my thought would be that it would not be specialy configured for that specific baby because it is not the baby's mom who carried them and all that. Plus you have no idea what that person eats or does that could affect the breastmilk. Plus i think that is such an intimate (closeness, bonding, not sexual as some think intimate only means) and personal time with mommy and baby. If I saw someone latching my baby on their tit i think id likely beat them
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 1:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I didnt know that they still had those...and now im disturbed to know that they do.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 7:12 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Someone can't breastfeed but still wants their kids to have the benefits of breastmilk. For whatever reason...if they want to do it...hey, go for it. Could I do it? No to either end of the equation.

But in my mind a wetnurse is just that...all she does is feed the baby, not give general care. But I don't really know.

Then again...some women have nannies where their children spend more time with the nanny (or just as much time) than they do their own parents. Aren't those kids "bonding" more with the nanny than the mom?

The important thing is that the baby is fed and cared for. I don't think it's right for any of us to judge how another parent accomplishes those tasks....we may not agree with them, but who are we to judge?

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think that if you cannot breastfeed and really want your child to get all the benefits of breastmilk then it is amazing if you can actually sacrifice things to let someone else feed your child just for the child's benefit.

Personally I have no problem with it, but would not be able to do it myself.
    tripletmomtobe

Answer by tripletmomtobe at 7:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I had no idea thta's what a wet nurse was!!! Guess I've been living under a rock!
    I would have serious jealousy issues letting another woman nurse my child. I have heard of breastmilk being bought and sold. Apparently, not sure how true it is, hospitals take breastmilk donations to use in the nicu. If I were not able to breastfeed and wanted my children to have it then I would explore the options of buying it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• No, I'd much rather have a trusted wet nurse than use formula.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I too, would rather use a trusted wet nurse then formula. In fact, I have nursed a friends child, and later on, gave that child pumped milk at the mother's request.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I don't think its gross or wrong. Would I do it, no probably not - but breastmilk is better than formula even from someone else's BREASTS.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would use one, with a background check and drug testing. The WHO list of best ways to feed a baby is:

1.BF by mom
    2.mom's milk in a bottle
    3.BM from another woman
    4. Formula
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 10:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• After what formula did to my child, I'd move heaven and Earth to use a wet nurse. I almost lost my son because of formula, another woman's "tit" would be far preferable to that hell any day. Grow up, they're called breasts. Get over it.
    Anonymous