How is my 3yr old's speech delay considered a disability for social security?

My son is 3 and has a major speech delay. He underwent several tests from Feb up to now (Sept). For instance, I had his ears check, and I was even told to have him tested for autism. All came out negative. I was told by a friend to apply for SS & when i did, the doc that evaluated him said he had a speech delay, but not a language delay. I saw this as a good thing bc that means he understands, just isn't getting it out. Still haven't heard anymore from SS, but I was wondering if anyone else had a child who was receiving benefits for something like this.

eva2010

Asked by eva2010 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2011 in Health

• you wont get social security it is ssi --and ssi is a government supplement income it goes by what you and hubby makes you may not qualify but to answer your question a speech delay can stop him from getting a job later in life and can hurt him socially-- if they cant get him to speak clearly at school -a friend of my sons little girl had that they did get ssi but he was the only one working -they put their daughter in speech therapy at age 3 and ssi payed for it --be aware that they always deny you the first time but appeal it even if you have to get a lawyer they then will pay you all the way back to when you first apply in one lump some up to 2 yrs if you win the appeal it can take up to two yrs -dont give up --good luck and hugs -p.s i went though the same red tape for my child with High functioning Autism i won the appeal ---

needtochat

Answer by needtochat at 10:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• Do you qualify financially for Social Security?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2011

• Why would you need social security for a speech delay??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2011