I got pregnant while on Depo, what are the risks to my unborn baby?

I went to the dr. for my depo shot and told the nurse that I think I have been working out and lost 13 lbs. in the last 1 1/2 months but my clothes have been getting bigger.... they did a pregnancy test and YEP I am pregnant... they did an ultrasound on Tuesday December 30th and found that I am 24 months pregnant and due in April 2009~ totally blew my mind!! Since I have been on the Depo since having my son in Jan 2008.... BUT SINCE I HAVE BEEN ON DEPO THE WHOLE TIME WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS AND COMPLICATIONS OF THE DEPO BEING IN YOUR SYSTEM THE WHOLE PREGNANCY SO FAR?

I am high risk....
1st son ~ was stillborn
2nd son ~ emergency c-section
? ~ miscarriage
3rd son ~ emergency c-section
? ~ miscarriage
4th son ~ planned c-section~ born with pneumothorax and Pulmonary Hypertension Disorder and stayed in the NICU for 1 1/2 months.. born at 40 weeks.... FULL TERM

pregnancy now ~ girl due in April!!

Amy

amylynn9917

Asked by amylynn9917 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow I don't know the risk's or complicatons with being on Depo, but you just scared the snot out of me! I'm on Depo, have 3 kids, DH wants another and I'm done! Had you been getting your period while on Depo? Sorry if that's TMI but I'm curious. I haven't gotten mine and didn't when I was on depo years ago.
    Congrats BTW on your baby girl!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I never got my period ~ I have been on the depo 3 other times... The dr said that the Depo one of the better birth controls to prevent pregnancy... We have 3 boys now.. and wanted another one but the dr said due to the scar tissue from my c-sections I will have a very hard time having another one and will put my life at great risks!! So then we decided not to have any more... and I went on the Depo until my husband saved up enough vacation time to have a Vasectomy this month!! He is still getting that done along with me getting my tubes tied after c-section!

But the dr said that getting pregnant on the Depo is rare.... but could happen
    amylynn9917

Answer by amylynn9917 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You should ask your Dr. this question, but there should have materials given to you when you got the doses (like the pharmacy gives when you get pills or the Dr. gives with shots), and that should outline the drug, its uses, risks, things to avoid, etc.
    burnsbct

Answer by burnsbct at 9:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Ask your doctor. My cousin was on the shot too when she found out she was 7 month pregnant. She had been given 2 shots and went in for her 3rd when they found out she was pregnant. Fun stuff. Watch your pregnancy closely and keep talking with your doctor.
    ArmyWifeKelly

Answer by ArmyWifeKelly at 10:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009