He has started wetting the bed!

My son is 4 and has not worn a diaper to bed in well over a year. In the last 2 weeks he's been wetting the bed. At first I though it was because of the holidays. Schedule was off and he was up past his bedtime most night's and drinking later than he normally would. But since we've gotten back on track he's still been wetting the bed. I've told him that I might have to put him back in pull-ups. I don't want to, but he wets my bed! He'll wake up in the night and come to my bed and wake me in the morning when the wetness wakes him! We also have out 3 yr old who often makes it to our bed some time in the night and my baby who often sleeps with us because it's easier to feed her.
Anyone else have a problem like this? He's not allowed a drink before, hasen't had one for an hour before and goes to the bathroom before bed. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 7:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know that when my son was this age he started wetting the bed. It was every night and I was not sure what to do. We took him to the DR and he need to have surgery because the opening at the tip of his penis was not large enough. Once he had the surgery he was fine. I am not saying that this is your sons problem, just something you might want to look into.

The other thing is if he has grown recently it might be that. Sometimes when kids grow their bodies grow faster then their bladders. If this is the case then it could take up 1 month before he stops.

Good Luck and send me a message if you would like
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Ha! you figure something out PLEASE! by all means let me know! I have a 7, 4, and 3 yr old and they ALL wet the bed...drives me nuts. I make them stop drinking 1.5hrs before bedtime adn go to teh bathroom before they lay down and sometimes they still pee! sometimes i get really lucky and they go a week.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 7:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• my daughter sometimes still had accidents (seldom, but still...) until she was 12! she was just a really hard sleeper. your son's problem sounds different, though. you may want to have a urinalysis by his pediatrician, just in case. don't put him in pull-ups. he'll never feel the wetness and will sleep right thru the peeing. buy some pee pads, those water proof pads you put in cribs, to help save the laundering. he can sleep on one of those. if he wets his bed, teach him that he needs to go to the bathroom, hang his wet clothes on the edge of the tub, along with his pee pad, then get a new pad to lie on, then go back to his own bed. it'll take a bit of retraining, but he'll get it figured out. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 7:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My 6 yr. old went threw phases of having accidents until about 6 months ago. Have him checked for bladder infection, cover the mattress with plastic and try not to lose your temper :). Some kids are hard sleepers and have accidents for years.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Some kids have sleep disorders that cause them to not notice that they need to go. Not saying that is what it is, but it is something to talk to the doctor about.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009