Anyone have a child with congenital exotropia (lazy eye)My son may need surgery,anyone have advice???? He's 8 months!

Lazy eye issues at 8 months

thethrashersmom

Asked by thethrashersmom at 6:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Health

• At eight months there is still a chance that he can grow out of it. You yhae to exercise the eyes, because it actually comes from weak eyes muscles. You have to get them to follow you with different things and objects that attract their attention and it will aid in the strengthening process. Though, it may not actually correct the issue, it will build up the muscles so that the lazy eye is not so apparent as they get older.
    rozepetalz

Answer by rozepetalz at 6:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I just know there is an age at which it can't be fixed. I know it's scary but my poor mother never had it done and she has lived with near blindness in that eye all her life. Thank God, it can be fixed!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• When I was a kid, they put a patch on the stronger eye and made the lazy one work harder to strengthen it. I had heard that the surgery is not 100% (of course this was back when I was a kid...I'm sure they've made great strides in that area since then).
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 11:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Hi...my daughter had inherited it from her father also. We noticed over time that the more tired she was, the more prone it was to drift. When she was five, we had corrective surgery done on both eyes, because she was no longer using both eyes in unison. She recovered quickly and suffered no ills for it. Today she is 18 and has never had a problem again. Don't hesitate to look into correction...I am sure it has saved her much embarrassement at school level. Good Luck!
    Aletaisabella

Answer by Aletaisabella at 3:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2008