HOW TO DEAL WITH ACHILD WHO HAS THE SAME ILLNESS AS YOU?ADHD/ADD

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ? ME AND MY DAUGHTER BOTH ARE ADDD/ADHD AND IT SEEMS THAT I GET VERY IMPATIENT WHEN I TRY TO TEACH HER SOMETHING OR EXPLAIN SOMETHING TO HER,AND IT JUST ISNT REGISTERING TO HER WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY.LIK EWE WOULD DO THE ALPHABETS ( BY OURSELVES) I WOULD GO OVER IT A COUPLE TIMES AND ASK HER TO SAY THEM BACK AND SHE WOULD MESS THEM UP. BUT SHE DID THEM FINE WHEN WE SANG THE M TOGETHER. I WOULD TELL HER "YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS WE JUST DID IT?' SHE WOULD SAY "I DONT KNOW AND SAY IM TIERD I DONT WANT TO DO THEM ANYMORE. AND I DONT HAVE THE PAIENTS TO GO OVER IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.BECAUSE I'M DISCOURAGED NOW. WHAT DO I DO

xxsms29xx

Asked by xxsms29xx at 8:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• well, if your getting frustrated or angry with her dont do it! how old is she? have you thought of enrolling her in preschool. you shouldnt get frustrated because you know what its like to be in her shoes.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• They have alot of new treatments available for kids who are young. I am actually surprised she is diagnosed if she is under 6. In any case, I would see the pediatrician because they actually have new methods that retrain the brain so the child doesnt need medication in the future. I would start there. They take both the child & parent and teach them how to cope, teach the child how to redirect and give all sorts of advice on how to deal.

Answer by gemgem at 8:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• just remember as frusterated as you are she is too, and because shes watching you get frusterated you're not helping. Also, don't blame it on ADD/ADHD. If you use that as an excuse now you will use it for everything and she will start using it too. It's may make things more difficult but its not the reason shes not learning. you need to have more patients with her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I know it's hard, but try to calm down. (all caps...yelling)

Don't try to teach by memorization or rote. Make it fun. As you play, label things. When reading, point out the first letter of the page and have her say what it is...ask her what it is, I mean. She doesn't need to learn them in order right now...recognition is more important than order. Order will come later.

Blocks and puzzles are great for learning letters, numbers, colors and shapes.

If she's just learning her alphabet, I'm guessing she's pretty young. She's already been diagnosed? Ask her developmental pediatrician for some help/ideas!

Just keep it fun and go at her pace for now. ...little ones have a shorter attention span as it is....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• have hubby teach her, i used to get the same way trying to teach my neice, nephew and son to read (now 12, 10, and 10), hubby had to step in and teach them cause it was a lot less stressful for EVERYBODY for him to do it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The more stressed you are the more stressed the child will be. If you are upset stop!!!!!I know that this is frusterating as i have an adhd child also. Letters were very hard for him. I had him tested for a Learning dissability and found that along with the adhd he has a short term mermory problem. this could be the issue also. What happens is that he cant remember something that he just got right becasue it dosent stick. you have to keep repeating until it gets into the long term memory.Here are a few ideas that may help some are cheep and some are a little expensive. sticky notes....write letter on sticky note and have them stick to things that begin with that letter, then leave them there for a while to retrigger brain as they see them. Flash cards you can usually find them at local dollar stores. just do a few at at time ie the same one or two for the whole week. continued in next post
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 9:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• and the most expensive but very effective is the leapster...you can find it in department stores in the toy section. yes about 120 to start BUT wow its worked great. You need the game system and the games letter factory and words factory but there are many more. my oldest by the middle of Kindergarden couldnt get letters so i invested in this system...Three days later he had them all...yes i said three days....granted it was a lot of play time on it but it worked..it teaches through association...Tad, the main charecter, goes to the factory where letters are made and taught there names....in each door is a diffrent letter..in the A room the professer steps out then comes back in dressed as a fuzzy monster and goes booga booga and all the a's yell aaaaaaaaaa.....i actually got a kick out of it....hope that that will work for you
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 9:19 AM on Jan. 2, 2010