shes 2 years old and breast feeding how do i get her off ?

my daughter is 2 years old she is still breast feeding she stopped breastfeeding for a couple of months and the other day i was on the couch she sat on my lap and pulled up my shirt and layed on my shirt i laughed and then i pulled down my shirt she was saying 'boobie boobie nurse ' i didnt know what to do so i let her nurse for a while then i layed her down for a nap since im expecting and shes still breastfeeding how can i get her off breastmilk before the baby comes ?

mom2b23869

Asked by mom2b23869 at 8:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, if she stopped for a couple months then wanted to start again I would tell her no. she is a big girl now and can drink out of her cup.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• thankyou i was a little embarassed lol
    mom2b23869

Answer by mom2b23869 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• well your biggest mistake was letting her do it. i totally agree with chaotic tell her NO and give her a cup.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:30 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Its not a good idea to breast feed while prego anyway.... so just tell her NO give her a cup, and when she puts up a fight... Explain that the new baby will need some and you are a big girl now. So you have a cup... make her feel good about it and she will be fine!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• yes you should tell her she a big girl and its time for her to drink out of a big girl cup
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm 34 weeks pregnant and still nursing my son who is 22 months but I plan to let him self wean. I really have no advice, I'd let her nurse. There are groups here that would help if you wanted to tandem nurse(which is my plan).
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Does she drink milk form a sippy or regular cup? I'd recommed keeping up with that and explaining to her that the baby in your belly will need the breast milk more than she will. Let her know what a big helper she will be when she lets the new baby have the breastmilk. I'd be concerned about her getting jealous once baby comes, though. You could try making it look like you have expressed your milk to the milk jug and then let her think she's still getting the milk. I don't know. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It's perfectly fine to breastfeed while pregnant, but if you don't want to then you'll just have to keep telling her no. Try and give her lots of hugs and cuddles to reasure her, and offer milk from a cup to drink.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If you really dont want her to then just stop and give her a cup. Once she has stopped though, dont let her start again. My daughter will be 2 on the 21st and about a month ago I told myself that she would not be breatsfeeding when she turned 2. During the day and to go to bed at night I just refused it and handed her a cup of milk and had to walk around the house with her humming to get her to fall asleep for naps and bed. For the first 2 weeks I let her nurse if she woke up in the middle of the night, then I just started getting up and waling with her humming if she woke up in the night. It has now been almost 2 weeks since she has nursed and she doesnt even ask for it.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2009