It gets better, It gets better....

It gets better. That is what I was told during those tough first few weeks with my newborn. When I was overwhelmed and unsure of my ability to do this job of motherhood, I was told it would get better. Well I am still waiting. Maybe my expectations were not realistic, but I thought things would be a bit better by now. My daughter is 4 1/2 months and I still feel like I am loosing my mind some days. Within the past couple weeks she is miserable (possibly teething) and wants to be walked around the house all day. Not only is my back killing me, but I am going crazy pacing the house all day. I asked my pediatrician if he thought it was just a phase and he had no real answer.
So I guess my questions is....does it really get better? and when?
I need some hope! : )

kboney29

Asked by kboney29 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it gets better when they can start doing SOME things for themselves....teething always sucks...do you have any friends or relatives that can help you?
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It really does get better...when? About the time the move out of the house, I think.

You're going to have better days and not so good days. And it will always be like that. The infant year is the toughest, I think (so far...my oldest is 4 years). Get some help. Have some one come in to give you a break, or just to help you out. Sleep when she sleeps or at least just rest (the heck with the housework or whatever else) You need to take some "me time" so find the best time in your routine for that. (mine is at 5am before they all get up )

Huge hugs!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• For my son it didn't get better until he could crawl and then it was only a little bit. Now he's walking and it's much better but I still have days when I feel like I'm going crazy. I have a 6 year old step daughter that makes me crazy some days. I think it's just their job to drive us nuts. So hang in there. It will get better, slowly. What helps me get through it is to sit down and be thankful for the things he can do now and doesn't do anymore.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Being a mom is fulltime and never ending. Does it get better? Depends on what youre looking for. If you are looking for life to go back to what it was before you were a mom then no, that never happens, not even when they are adults. If you are hoping they can entertain themselves yes that does happen. Usually around 2-3 yrs old they can sit and play a little on their own but they still always need you and want something. Then by the time they can do things on their own (teens) they dont want to be around you LOL. Good luck. I love being a mom myself and I guess I am used to it.

Answer by gemgem at 8:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The days will come and go. Some will be good, some will not. Just try to enjoy as much as you can. When you get tried of pacing the room, put baby in a stroller and go for a walk. The new senery will be a big help for you and babies usually like the movement of the stroller. If it's teething, it will come and go. If she's sick, she will get better. If she's coliclly, that too will go away. I'd recommend taking a mom's night out and just getting away from baby for a few hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son is 5 months old, and honestly, I thought the newborn stage was MUCH easier. My best advice to you is to get a Moby wrap or some kind of carrier. That has been a Godsend to me. He wanted nothing other than to be carried yesterday. No matter what I did, he would scream until I picked him up and walked around. So I threw on my wrap and put him in and he fell asleep after 5 minutes. The Moby is the only carrier he has liked. I tried almost every sling/carrier they make and he hated them all til the Moby. Good luck!!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• aww I'm sorry K!! Looks like you've got some good advice here.. and I agree with all of them LOL.. having a baby is a neverending job, and it has its ups and downs. If our babies want anything it usually is us. She's gonna have those really hard times, like teething, and then it'll get better for a little. Then she's gonna go through something else that's rough. Welcome to motherhood girl!! It's a little at a time, and some times are rougher than others, but the good times will eventually outweigh those sleepless nights. Now may not fit your definition of 'good', but its how you spend those good moments, not really how many there are.. that make them so good :)
    Don't worry.. when your up in the middle of the night with a teething baby, so are a good many other people for various other reasons. Just remember.. she'll never be quite this little ever again :) Love what you can of it!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It does get better but it is different with every baby. Do you have a swing or bouncer to give your back a rest?? Even though it seems like that day will never come you have to try to enjoy this time because it will be over before you know it. Just stick in there i will get better..
    sophiasmommy02

Answer by sophiasmommy02 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It will change, there will always be challenges (who thought this would be easy?) but you'll get better at it. Right now you're deep in the trenches with a baby who still can't really communicate. Take a deep breath, in a year this will be nothing but a memory, keep saying that to yourself, just one year. Then you'll be dealing with a whole new host of problems, but you'll be more experienced and better able to handle them. I know the desperation you feel, it's not easy. It will never be easy, but you'll get better at it.
    Anonymous